The Accurate Reloading Forums
Magnum primers with cast bullets?????

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1811043/m/33110648

24 February 2003, 04:38
<prtzlbender>
Magnum primers with cast bullets?????
Is it foolish to prime a 44 magnum pistol with magnum primers if you're shooting cast bullets??
24 February 2003, 05:13
BER007
quote:
Originally posted by prtzlbender:
Is it foolish to prime a 44 magnum pistol with magnum primers if you're shooting cast bullets??

Not handload a .44 mag, but I handload a .454 Casull. The primer depends on the powder that you use. I have loaded my .454 with SR,SR Mag and SP Mag primers, with hard cast bullets plain base and with gas check (from 250 gr till 335 gr as bullet weight). Never have any problems in using mag primers.
24 February 2003, 05:51
Mingbogo
It should not be a problem. Most of my cast bullets are very hard and I usually load them up pretty good with large pistol magnum primers. I use mainly CCI primers, as I got a good supply of them. Good luck.
24 February 2003, 11:15
<stans>
I think the only powders that really require magnum primers are H-110, W-296 and maybe AA#9. Otherwise, you can just use standard large pistol primers and save a few pennies.
24 February 2003, 12:16
aladin
I've had good results shooten mag primers with a rifle using the faster numbers which aren't running anything near a max chamber pressure for that rds specs. For instance with all the air space in an 06 case with say 17-20 grs of Blue Dot the ignition and ES's generally are somewhat lower with the magnum versions.

The age old adage about mag primners is true though-- just don't work up a max loading with a cool primer and then substitute them w/o reworking the load.