New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting PC Bullet HV Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been fooling with shooting pc bullets. I'll admit I was pessimistic about it at first. Geargnasher (Ian over on the www.artfulbullet.com forum)got me interested in it and helped some. I wasn't pleased at first result (through more then one rifle/caliber) but today gave it another try. This time it was the 6.5 Grendel and I'm talking about a 140 grin Saceo borerider that I pc'ed. Velocity range in the 200-2100 fps range from an 8 twist barrel.

Okay went out with a new 6.5 Grendel. Shot 3 or four different cast loads, shot jacketed, and shot the pc. The rifle has a premium heavy match barrel on it and it shot the jacketed into just over a caliber hole. That's how I got it sighted in. Little bore cleaning and wiping it out, then a super light coat of oil. I mean like just wiped out. Shot the pc and they went into 1/2 inch. The other lubed cast loads didn't know fair as well, but I'll admit they need much tweaking. My cousin is helping me on this as he long ago had a 6.5 Grendel that shot very well with lubed cast.

PC got some merit to it, but you have to work at it just like at lubed cast. Geargnasher is doing very well at HV with it in many calibers and rifles.

Vince

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All these years later, still jealous of Larry Gibson, has to go deeper than he might outshoot you or know more about casting. Did you hear somewhere that his pecker is longer?

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
All these years later, still jealous of Larry Gibson, has to go deeper than he might outshoot you or know more about casting. Did you hear somewhere that his pecker is longer?

hahahaha! and thicker? so much time and energy spent on nothing that matters more than a mouse fart. less even. do you have NO REAL problems in your life such that allow you to obsess about such minor crap??

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You two fellows are too stupid to even talk about pc shooting!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've ordered a couple of 16oz bottles of powdered automotive car paint from a store in Manitoba.The top securing nut on my RCBS lube press seems to have stripped threads ( I hope it is not the housing) and will not screw back on.I will try baked powder coating until I can get a replacement nut.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vzerone:

wow. come back of the year! now i'm wondering if i can make it thru the rest of my day. hahahaha
that Larry Gibson really occupies a whole buncha space in ur head don't he?

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
quote:

wow. come back of the year! now i'm wondering if i can make it thru the rest of my day. hahahaha
that Larry Gibson really occupies a whole buncha space in ur head don't he?

There I edited it, is that better now for you two fellows? Is it against your grain to talk about this subject?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I've ordered a couple of 16oz bottles of powdered automotive car paint from a store in Manitoba.The top securing nut on my RCBS lube press seems to have stripped threads ( I hope it is not the housing) and will not screw back on.I will try baked powder coating until I can get a replacement nut.

I'm not sure what you are talking about on that RCBS luber sizer. I have the Lyman version and they are very similar. RCBS did make changes on that cranking lever on the lube reservoir. I'll tell you this, they have an excellent customer support service and they will fix that free of charge to you. Please give them a call and explain you situation.

On the pc paint I'm using Eastwood light Ford Blue.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There I edited it, is that better now for you two fellows? Is it against your grain to talk about this subject?

I'm flattered that I am so stupid that I don't let what Larry Gibson does on another forum dictate my life. I was not banned at Castboolits, can still go there and post. I choose not to, not because of Larry Gibson, but if I really gave a "mouse fart" I'd go there and read his words of wisdom. Why would I want to come here and read about it? I'd have a hard time classifying someone as brilliant that let's him consume his mind for so many years.

Posts: 3804 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'm flattered that I am so stupid that I don't let what Larry Gibson does on another forum dictate my life. I was not banned at Castboolits, can still go there and post. I choose not to, not because of Larry Gibson, but if I really gave a "mouse fart" I'd go there and read his words of wisdom. Why would I want to come here and read about it? I'd have a hard time classifying someone as brilliant that let's him consume his mind for so many years.

You couldn't post something serious and on topic if you life depended on it Ray. Try it sometime.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:

I'm not sure what you are talking about on that RCBS luber sizer. I have the Lyman version and they are very similar. RCBS did make changes on that cranking lever on the lube reservoir. I'll tell you this, they have an excellent customer support service and they will fix that free of charge to you. Please give them a call and explain you situation.

On the pc paint I'm using Eastwood light Ford Blue.

I did call RCBS and they are sending me the part.It is the nut on top of the lubing cylinder on the lube-a-matic 2 press.I screwed up the threads on it because I installed the press in a tight spot and used a monkey wrench at an odd angle to screw and unscrew the nut.I needed to use a large, long socket instead of the wrench.There are not that many sources for powdered bullet paint that I am aware of in Canada.I saw the one I ordered used by someone on a canadian shooting forum.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway, it's a safe bet that RCBS will take care of your luber. They made two styles. The old style used an air conditioner wrench(a ratchet wrench that works one direction and the opposite when turned over). This was used to feed the lube. The newer style uses a toggle bolt to feed lube. Most prefer the old style. I find it much better. If RCBS replaces your luber it will be the newer style. You can convert to the old style a couple ways. Mill a hex onto the new bolt that an AC wrench fits. Easier way is to get a 1/4" drive socket that will slide over the bolt. The toggle has a knob on either end and unthread the knob and remove toggle. Cut slots in the socket that a bolt will slip through and tighten it on with a nut. You can then place the ratchet in the socket and feed lube this way.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shootaway, it's a safe bet that RCBS will take care of your luber. They made two styles. The old style used an air conditioner wrench(a ratchet wrench that works one direction and the opposite when turned over). This was used to feed the lube. The newer style uses a toggle bolt to feed lube. Most prefer the old style. I find it much better. If RCBS replaces your luber it will be the newer style. You can convert to the old style a couple ways. Mill a hex onto the new bolt that an AC wrench fits. Easier way is to get a 1/4" drive socket that will slide over the bolt. The toggle has a knob on either end and unthread the knob and remove toggle. Cut slots in the socket that a bolt will slip through and tighten it on with a nut. You can then place the ratchet in the socket and feed lube this way.

Thanks for the advice,carpetman1.I had a difficult time feeding lube with the hard beeswax especially before I got the lube heater.I split the skin from under my feet by trying to turn the lube feeder. The toggle bent and whatever I used to replace it too.One day I might try something like you suggest.I roughly understand what you are describing but it would be much clearer with a picture or illustration.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm glad RCBS took care of you shootaway. They have always had a terrible customer service.

Will be interested in hearing about your pc adventure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway--I don't have an illustration, I'll try to clarify. You already know how to remove the toggle. Remove it. Get a socket (1/4" drive) that will now fit down over the bolt so that it covers the hole that was left when you removed toggle. Cut slot on both sides of socket so that a bolt will fit through the slots and of course through the toggle hole. Now using this bolt use a nut to clamp the socket in place. You can now insert a ratchet into the socket and operate the feed with the ratchet. The socket will be hard to cut and probably best done with angle grinder.
I hope the comment about RCBS poor customer service was an attempt at humor as their customer service is among the best.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway--I find using the toggle it is sometimes in a clumsy position, but with ratchet you can always have it in proper position. Lyman uses the ratchet too. The RCBS luber seems to hold pressure better is the only difference I noticed between the two.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is zero problem with the Lyman holding pressure. The only real thing that would affect that is the seals.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never said there was a problem. I said RCBS seems to hold pressure better. This is based on being able to lube more bullets between exerting pressure with an RCBS vs what I could with my Lyman.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I never said there was a problem. I said RCBS seems to hold pressure better. This is based on being able to lube more bullets between exerting pressure with an RCBS vs what I could with my Lyman.

That's just your assumption and you are wrong. My Lyman holds pressure and can lube quite few bullets, depending on number of lube grooves and size, with each pump up. It doesn't leak lube anywhere and it has stood the test of time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Obviously you are correct vzerone your exhaustive study concludes my Lyman held pressure no better than my RCBS. What an amazing finding you made in that the size and number of lube grooves is a factor. BTW were you able to do this extensive study while you were draft dodging?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway--Something that you might try if you convert your luber. Don't know if this would work or not as I've not tried it. If torching the socket you are going to use would soften it to where it could be drilled, a hole through both walls of the socket is all you need. I mentioned the slots as they can be cut with a grinder, but sockets as is are too hard to drill.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure how much better if at all coated bullets will shoot compared to gas check and lubed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
shootaway I'm going to give you a forum to discuss pc shooting. The man to pay particular attention is Ian. Here's the link go sign up they are okay people there.

https://www.artfulbullet.com/index.php

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks vzerone.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Shootaway, when using a harder lube in the RCBS or Lyman lubesizers you need to heat the lubesizers enough to soften the lube in the reservoir. If it is a sunny day I just put my Lyman out in the sun for an hour before starting to lube bullets or quicker is using a hairdryer for about 10 mins on the lubesizer to heat it and soften the lube.

Shouldn't have to crank lube in using a lot of pressure, that's hard on everything including the seals on the reservoir piston and threads on the piston shaft. Lyman use a Chapman rachet crank for operating the lube piston and these are not overly strong. I've been lubing bullets for years and never had a problem with my Lyman 450, just replaced the two o'ring seals on the piston once as they wore down a bit but did not leak. Standard 1" o'rings from memory.

I've thought about going down the PC route but I'm all set up for standard lube/sizing and can't see any advantage in changing and mucking around with what seems like a bit of a messy and time consuming process.

Posts: 3849 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
Shootaway, when using a harder lube in the RCBS or Lyman lubesizers you need to heat the lubesizers enough to soften the lube in the reservoir. If it is a sunny day I just put my Lyman out in the sun for an hour before starting to lube bullets or quicker is using a hairdryer for about 10 mins on the lubesizer to heat it and soften the lube.

Shouldn't have to crank lube in using a lot of pressure, that's hard on everything including the seals on the reservoir piston and threads on the piston shaft. Lyman use a Chapman rachet crank for operating the lube piston and these are not overly strong. I've been lubing bullets for years and never had a problem with my Lyman 450, just replaced the two o'ring seals on the piston once as they wore down a bit but did not leak. Standard 1" o'rings from memory.

I've thought about going down the PC route but I'm all set up for standard lube/sizing and can't see any advantage in changing and mucking around with what seems like a bit of a messy and time consuming process.

I felt the same way about pc, but actually I think they are equal in preparing bullets.