New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Styrofoam Peanuts as case fillers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Nothing wrong with debate. It is my understand that the cast bullets guys use cartridges with small case capacities to eliminate the need for fillers and give 100% loadiing density. They might be using 12 gr. of 4227 in wide mouth 32-20 case and a 32-40 bullet, or something along those lines. For gosh sakes don't load that, it is and example to make a point, not a real load. At any rate if you are really into this do some research and get a rifle made up for the purpose. A small capacity case and a barrel suited for long bullets might be fun. I have the idea of a highwall in 32 H/R mag., a .308 barrel, 1:10 twist, throated for a Lyman 31141 bullet. Maybe launch them at 1100 fps. I bet a guy could make such a combo shoot really well on a calm day. I think it would be really fun but have to many irons in the fire to get into it.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I disagree, but that's what makes for debates. I looked in The Fouling Shot, house magazine for the Cast Bullet Assc., but while they give a great deal of data on the loads used by the CB benchresters, they don't have a listing for fillers, if a filler is used.
I do have one load that will give 1.5 MOA at 200 yards from a box stock Win. M70 usinf a 1.0 gr. tuft of dacron. Shooting the same loads without the filler and raising the muzzle, groups open up to 2 MOA or larger.
My 300 yard cast bullet load uses a filler as well, but the rifle is an 11 pound gun that would wear you out if you had to raise the muzzle for each shot for a ten round string. That load is a 2.5 MOA load and without filler is 5 MOA. The latter probably because the rifle is awkward to raise from the bench. As most CBA benchrest guns are heavier than mine, I doubt they raise the muzzle and I'd bet they do use a filler. Well, at least some of them anyway.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote