Notify
Tools

Re: Is there an Engineer in the House?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Lar45,

Quote:

AC you are always trying to stir something up. Anything that I have left out of the equations would only serve to yield higher numbers.

First I am NOT trying to "start anything". What I AM DOING IS TRYING TO KEEP YOU FROM BLOWING YOURSELF UP!

The rest of you comment is 100% correct, and because the numbers (STRESSES) are getting BIGGER when calculated CORRECTLY (TriAxial Stress conditions instead of your SIMPLISTIC simple stress calculations) this statement of yours is NO LONGER valid:
Quote:

I'm assuming 100% safety factor to plastic deformation.

You are also correct in that there is a correlation between hardness and strength! This correlation is only valid within the hardness range of a PARTICULAR ALLOY!

For instance:

SAE 1050 at Rc 50 has a tensile strength of ~ 150,000 psi

SAE 4320 at Rc 50 has a tensile strength of ~ 215,000 psi

BIG BIG difference, eh!

Finally, the tensile strength is NOT the paramount parameter you need to worry about. You need to be FAR more concerned with the material's impact strength at whatever hardness you are working at.

Finally, do you have a least a basic understand of strain energy distribution and what is means? The actions of firearms are full of areas of high strain energy. It is in these locations you should be concerning yourself.

Go ahead though, ignore the voice of decades of ACTUAL FIELD experience!

Good luck with you project, I sincerely hope YOU DON'T need it!

But then again what do I know, I am afterall just an ASS_CLOWN!

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote