New
Find
Notify
Tools

Company to modify or make custom mold?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm looking for someone to modify a Lyman .375 RB mold by drilling a .406 hole from the bottom and stopping just short of the top. Appearance would be sort of a semi-wadcutter with a small rounded nose. No grease grooves. Or a custom mold with a short semi-wadcutter nose.

I can handle making the hollow base plugs, but centering a hole on the RB cavity is beyond me.

Thanks,

BH

Posts: 48 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
might want to contact Mountain Molds

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Lloyd
Do yau have an address and or phone number for mountain moulds. Thanks. mes

Posts: 9 | Location: Van Dyne, Wi | Registered: 06 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rapine Bullet Mould Mfg. Co.
9503 Landis Lane
East Greenville, PA 18041

215-679-5413 ( 8 to 5 eastern time)
FAX 215-679-6442 (24 hours)

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,

I tried Mountain Molds and they didn't answer- guess their not interested.

I'll try Rapine. Thanks again.

BH

one of us
Picture of 475/480
posted Hide Post
mountainmolds.com, you can design one on the website.

Posts: 562 | Location: Houston Tx | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont see why you are going to modify the old roundball mould? most likely about same price to make a new one?

Posts: 30 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think there's a false economy being attempted here. What you're asking someone to do is to cut up from the bottom blindly to allign with an existing spherical hole. I don't know anyone the would attempt it. On the other hand, one could attempt to align with the existing hole and cut down - not easy at all with a spherical hole.

The setup time would be around an hour - getting everything lined up and then 3 minutes cutting. More profit in running a production line with one setup and making multiple moulds.

On the other hand you MIGHT find a friend that would gladly oblige. Worth looking for.

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blackpowder & trk,

I've discovered that aligning the holes is not easy- but now I do have a couple of extra screws and sprue plates. I put "modify or make custom" in the subject line but forgot to put it in the message body. I figured the cost would be about the same either way.

trk- I wish I knew somebody with a lathe and a 4 jaw chuck- or a mill/ drill.

475/480,

I can't find a nose pour or hollow base option on Mtn. Mlds.

Thanks,
BH

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know the intregue. That's why I picked up a mill and lathe (just to make moulds). Don't have all the tooling I need yet. May - ahh - WILL - take some time. When I get geared up I'll be doing some experimenting with moulds that are of little value - noteably roundball moulds.

I can't make any offers now. But, in the mean time you need to put some serious work into the design. I'd be glad to do some free cad work if you need it (look at the drawings of the BD45 for an example).

Start with an execellent design and you'll more likely end up with a better product.

My frustration now is with the .35 Wheelen with such a short throat. So I need a 250-270 gr. bullet (the 285's are too long/heavy to stabilize). The 358009 is just too big and the
others are too big at the nose to be bore-riding. I looks like I'll be doing my own design.

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
trk,

Thanks for the cad offer. But I'm as creative as a rock. I just stole, oops, I mean borrowed the proven foster slug design. I just changed the diameter.

One of the molds I tried to drill and ream (its WAY off) casts slugs that can be pulled from the mold with the base plug. I put the plug in a wood lathe, put a slug back on it and sort of pressed it close to round with the smooth part of a lathe chisel. In the oversize bore of my Win 9410 it actually shot better than the factory slugs!

My local used mold emporium has a couple of abused .357 molds. Maybe I'll drill down from the top and try an ashcan design if I can't get it made in a reasonable time frame.

BH