Find
Notify
Tools

Lee 44 310 RNFPGC
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
Please tell me of your success (or lack of) using this bullet.

Target, deer, hog really big stuff!

LouisB

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats C430-310-RF boolit number! Fantastic boolit! I use it a lot in my revolvers and it is also very accurate in the Marlin lever gun. In fact I shot up my whole supply yesterday in my grandsons Marlin. I was hitting the plastic caps from spray cans every shot at 100 yds. I have taken quite a few deer with it and it is super. I interchange it with the LBT style with very little change in point of impact. I consider it the poor mans LBT.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
TC,

I cast this bullet and use it in my Redhawk. Lots of 296 @ about 1250 fps. Tried both hard cast and soft lead. I have shot a 272 lb.,(32" at the shoulder) boar with this load. He has in one of my hog traps on my place. I did not want to shoot him in the head as I was planning on doing a european mount with it. So I shot him in the neck with the hard cast version, (WW/dropped in water) the bullet clipped the wire panel keyholeing. He grunted at me when hit, I then shot him through the heart, he grunted again. But in about 5-6 seconds he started to bleed out, stagger and that endded him. I recovered the bullet that hit him in the neck, it was under his throat on the other side. No expantion or deforming of any kind, only rifling marks and where it hit the wire. The second shot passed through and was lost.

After this I went to a soft alloy, much like the old bison hunters used. As the velocity is about the same as their old rifle rounds, and they had little problems with leading. This lead will mushroom and hold together, as I have shot it in to damp clay and recovered it, there was no loss of material(weighed it). I have not recovered one from a large hog though, but it should now do a better job than the extra hard bullets did. They are now practice ammo.

Hope this helps you out some.

Hog Killer

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
When I had my 4 5/8" super blackhawk, it was one of my favorite bullets. I only cast from wheelweights, but shot both air cooled and water quenched, finished weight was 320gr. It was a very accurate bullet, and I even managed to push it 1300 fps from the short tube, but 1200 fps is a more resonable max velocity, 7 1/2's will have no problem getting 1300 with ~22 gr H-110. I never got a chance to kill any critters with it.

Another good lee bullet is the 240gr swc gc. I cut out the gas check shank to make it a plainbase, and it was very accurate. For game I'd prefer a bullet with a bigger meplat, ie the 310 rf.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
The Lee 240 SWC GC is one of the most accurate bullets I have shot out of my old 44 Super Blackhawk. I wish they would provide that weight with the RNFP style They could do away with the SWC if the RNFP would shoot.

I had toyed with the idea of having the GC shank machined off of this bullet. Can't imagine that leading would be an issue.

Of course I have NEVER had leading except for a rough spot in my Super Redhawk barrel (fire lapped out easily) and when I shot some commercial Super hard cast bullets.

I will also try the Lee 310 with a healthy dose of WC-680 (use it under my 300 XTPs) and see what I can get. I would guess an extra 75-100 fps over the funny kinda bullet (say 1300-1400 fps).

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The 310 rf can have the face milled to remove the gas check shank. The resulting bullet is ~280 gr. I have such a mold in the 45 rf. Friends who have shot the 280 gr in 45 say that accuracy is so/so.

The only revolver I've really thoroughly tested cast bullets in has been my 480. I've shot 310, 320, 335, 350, 390, 2 different 400's, a 435 and a 460 gr bullet. Nose designs have been LFN, WFN, and SWC. Every bullet has been capable of outstanding accuracy, and these have been cast from Balisitast, Mountain Molds, Lee, LBT and NEI molds.

The only report I've had in regards to nose profile and accuracy is that the 460 gr WFN bullet launched @ 1100 fps would start flying wild past about 175 yds. The LFN shapes would fly true as far as you could place them.

If your gun is accurate, I don't see why a shortened 310 rf wouldn't shoot well. Unless you're looking for a 200+ yd target bullet

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote