Find
Notify
Tools

Lead bullets in a AR-15 223?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted
How do they work for you? I've been casting large bore bullets (58 to 7mm) for years. In the past year or so I bought a couple of 22 molds. Why I never owned 22 caliber molds before I don't know but they sure are a cute bullet. I bought a Lyman 44 grain RN GC and an RCBS 55 grain SP GC. The alloy I'm using has a hardness of Linotype according to my SAECO tester. I haven't load any of these yet and it'll be a while before I can get to the range so I thought I would ask.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most likely one well not be able to develop a load that well operate the action.

other the that they should shoot ok.

Posts: 19354 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I see no problem in developing a, reduced velocity, accurate lead bullet load in a bolt-action rifle but would be very cautious about clogging up the gas system of any semi-auto.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
The AR-15 was an afterthought, the molds were originally bought for the single shot and bolt 22s I own. I didn't think about operating pressures or fouling the gas port of the AR.

Thanks guys

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cannot speak for the .223/5/56 cartridge because I haven't gotten around to loading lead for it yet, but I can say for a fact that lead will work in both the 358 Gremlin and the 7.62X39 on an AR platform.

I have shot a lot of the RCBS 35-200 FN GC projectiles out of my Gremlin; as a matter of fact, I have them cutting holes at 100 yards. There is an issue currently with the sizing dies that were bought for the round, but the cast just flat shoot! To this point, Reloder 7, XBR 8208, and WC 820 all cycle the action in the Gremlin at moderate pressures, and it is a 22" barrel with a mid-length gas system.

I have also played with cast in the X39, although only a bit. I have a Hensley and Gibbs #250 GC mould that is designed for the 30 Carbine. The bullets drop at about 120 grains and a diameter of just at .311". So far, 18 grains of IMR 4227 behind that projectile operates the action just like factory rounds, and accuracy is good enough to allow for plinking. There is a bit of partially burned powder left in the barrel, but no leading. I plan to try heavier projectiles to see how they act.

IF you are going to shoot lead, I highly advise you to use GC projectiles, as you have apparently done.

I have a Lyman #225450 that I will break out, cast some from, see how my 5.56 likes them, and try to follow up in this thread. After that, the only thing left to try them in is the 6X45...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not own any Ar style guns, but one person that reported much experience with them said operating pressures were plenty and no gas port fouling. I do have a Win model 70 in .223 and it will shoot jacketed bullets very accurately, but no combination of cast loads worked. The same bullet I tried in the .223, RCBS 55 grainer works great in my.222's and a 22-250. This is a gas check design mold and I have shot bunches of bullets from it with no gas check and the results make me question even using gas checks.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No way to tell for certain, but my sincere belief is that a long time ago somebody decided that shooting cast in a gas gun would lead to lead fouling and plugging of the gas port. That made sense to a lot of folks, and the conjectured (but never tried...) supposition became the rule of the land.

In my estimation, at least so far, it is pure hogwash. I have taken the gas block off the Gremlin after 100 rounds of lead, and I find no leading at all. But with a gas check I wouldn't expect any anyway...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
take a look on the cast bullet forum. There are dozens of guys shooting GC cast in their AR's in the 2000fps range with zero issues. NOE makes several good bullet designs that feed and shoot well.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a Lyman #225450 that I will break out, cast some from, see how my 5.56 likes them, and try to follow up in this thread.

I look forward to your report.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the rcbs 0-55s and the HM-2 62gr mold I designed for the 5.56 throats both shoot just fine to 2800 plus fps.
the saeco 60 gr 223 bullet does fine as well.
I have shot the first 2 and held accuracy under 2" at 100 yds in a standard A-3 configuration rifle with a 1-9 twist 20" barrel consistently for a few years now.
my stag 6-H 1-8 twist will do better but it's a varmint rifle and has a better scope.
it generally holds well into the 1" range.
functioning is 100% with starting jacketed loads using the slower for caliber powders like win 748 and imr-4895.
you gotta put in the work and explore some options and read what the targets are telling you as well as use some thought and effort at the loading bench.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A ton of useful information here. Thanks!

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair or Blair Worldwide Hunting
http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/3471078051/p/1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mick, I lied. The mould is as 225415, a flat nosed bullet of about 45 grains. Granted, I didn't try but one powder charge, but with bullets weighing to a tenth, 21 grains of BL(C)-2 was NOT friendly. Probably a 3-1/2" group at 100, with no real defined area of concentration. The rifle was a standard 16" carbine with a one in nine twist.

I am working out of state now, so this project will have to be put on hold for a while. I plan to obtain some heavier moulds and continue the experiment; there have to be moulds out there that produce bullets that will shoot accurately out of an AR!

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I want to thank you all for your input. It's been good help.

Doubless, thank you! I do load BL(C)-2 in my 204 Ruger, I have not used it in any other cartridges.

I'll let you know what I get with the 55 grain once I get to the range. I'm tired of working on this property ever weekend, it's time for a little play.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mick,
Wanted to weigh in here as I work for a hard cast lead bullet manufacturer and have some insight on this. I work for midatlantic bullets who can be found at www.midatlanticbullets.com and we no longer sell .224 for use in the AR-15. The reason is not that they don't shoot well. Just the opposite is true.
The problem is that people load them up way too hot (>2000fps) and then go shooting hundreds of them at a session. This generates a very hot barrel. The barrel heat combined with the hot loading (for a lead bullet) leads to leading. I also had one guy tell me a while back that his friends can't find powder loads easily for the cast bullets and they just use jacketed bullet charges (this is a real problem).
So we stopped making them to fix the problem.
I for one have multiple AR platforms and use the cast bullets alot. If you do shoot them, my advice is to use a Lyman manual for Lyman#2 alloy bullet loads and then to keep the speed at 2000 fps or less and slow on the shots. I have found Reloader 7 to be a perfect powder at about 1900fps using a BHN=17-19 hardness bullet. Good luck!

Posts: 155 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 13 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input rje. My AR setup has a 20” SS heavy barrel and its purpose is shooting P Dogs with small magazines for better ground clearance off of a bipod. I generally go Prairie Dog shooting with 3 rifles to help keep from over heating any one gun.