Find
Notify
Tools

Painted wheel weights
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of steve box
posted
Have any of you folks noticed that wheel weights these days have more paint or coating than lead. I have been using ingots that I have had around for some years and just today started melting some weights and making new ingots while the weather is not to hot to work outside and not to cool to slow my furnace down. Just for the sake of asking have any of you notice this and is there any way to get the paint off before melting them?

Iknowmyspellingsucks!

Following and duplicating a successful persons actions is worth ten thousand hard headed mistakes

Posts: 127 | Location: AL | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boondocker
posted Hide Post
Hi Steve

There are alot of w/w that have a paint or clear on the to help keep the oxidation off the mag wheels. I usually just melt and burn the junk off in the rendering pot. Watch out for the zinc weights tho. Boon

Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

“The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left.”

When the SHTF he with the most lead will retain the most gold!

Posts: 647 | Location: Pa | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steve box
posted Hide Post
How do you tell the diffrence?

Following and duplicating a successful persons actions is worth ten thousand hard headed mistakes

Posts: 127 | Location: AL | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
If you bring a potfull of misc. wheel weights up to the melt point, as soon as that happens, start ladleing all the sludge, clips and floating crud out. You will get the zinc out before it melts, while it is still floating. The zinc weights tend to come from euro cars, funny writing, light weight, flat with a sticky side, don't make a klunk sound on concrete. Easy enough.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote