New
Find
Notify
Tools

scrap lead
 Login/Join

<jsirm>
posted
Hello, I am finding that in a small town, there arent a whole lot of scrap wheelweights. So I am looking for an alternative source for lead, especially a good alloy. Where is linotype used, I would be interested in knowing where I could find some. Also, what about batteries? I know the acid will really run your day and permanently damage your person, but I find batteries that have been dumped by people and then busted open/shot (there is a fee for getting rid of batts proplerly here) that are completely empty of acid and I would like to salvage them if this would yield a usable product. thanks
Ian

one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
Batteries aren't worth messing with!!!!! Trust me.
There must be a tire shop somewhere near you.

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Cybra>
posted
Yes, I don't think you want to mess with batteries, as the problem of contamination is due to solubility issues in the construction of the battery, and once lead is in contact with sulfur/calcium/chlorite-based acids, it's...basically ruined, from the bullet caster's viewpoint [sucks the big weenie, believe me, I know--I'm just like you, always snarfing, and originally I was in a small town up north and couldn't find much.]

<Cybra>
posted
Yes, I don't think you want to mess with batteries, as the problem of contamination is due to solubility issues in the construction of the battery, and once lead is in contact with sulfur/calcium/chlorite-based acids, it's...basically ruined, from the bullet caster's viewpoint [sucks the big weenie, believe me, I know--I'm just like you, always snarfing, and originally I was in a small town up north and couldn't find much.] Some places you might check for scrap lead would be junk yards, auto shops, I'm sure you know all that. Often times in junkyards you can locate old cast-iron piping; bust open the hubs, they'll be sealed with lead. As for linotype, I hear Brownells sells the material.

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Depending on what sort of velocities you are hoping for plain lead from X ray shielding, lead shiething from underground cable, shower pans, babbit metal from rail cars and ships, your wife's pewter dishes.
I once put the word out amoungst friends and such, I got some linotype ingots one person was using to hold open barn doors. There was a 50# lead sculpture. Found a bunch of lead at a salvage place from torn down houses and buildings.
I keep a 5 gal bucket at work and when I walk to get a Coke I look in the gutter usually find two or three. Once a year I take the bucket home.
I'm lucky that I have several thousand pounds of wheel weights melted into ingots and several thousand pounds ready to make into ingots.
The lead is out there.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
<jsirm>
posted
Thanks for the advice, I wont bother with the batteries and will get out and scrounge around the junk yards some more, I think junk yards and the hunting grounds are my true natural habitat. Thanks
Ian

one of us
posted Hide Post
you might try the classified on the website right here theres prolly someone who would sell you lead cheap. i live in a very small town too but i talked the local print shop out of a huge linotype bar.

a .357mag can be your best friend...

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
print shops may have old linotyoe, tell them its for making sinkers for fish, some printers are anti-gun.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the printer here is retired military so it was easy to get lead from him.....

a .357 can be your best friend.........

one of us
posted Hide Post
I usta buy scrap lead from the local junkyard, but they tell me EPA won't let them sell it any more. Fortunately I have lifetime supply or there abouts.

I would just make the rounds of the tire service places and make them an offer on their scrap wheelweights.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
<vwguy>
posted
"EPA won't let them sell it any more"

Sounds fishy to me. The local scrap yard is practally giving it away 10 cents a pound.

I used to buy wheel weights for 20.00 per full 5 gallon pail from a tire service store.

btw, I have a few hundred pounds of lino (loose), and a pail of babbit (heavy!) I may never use, anyone intrested?

Pm me.

[ 11-08-2002, 05:30: Message edited by: vwguy ]