New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 cal cast
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Where are 22 cal preferably gas checked bullets available.
Thanks

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My response is not an answer to your question. I cast my own, have you considered getting a mold and casting them? I use the 58 grain RCBS mold which is designed for gas checks. I have shot them both with and without the gas check, and can't detect a bit of difference. I have shot them in .222 and 22-250 around 2000-2200 fps with great results. I have tried numerous combinations in my Win model 70 .223 and can't get them to group. I have same style mold in .243 (95 grain) and they shoot great in my win mod 70. Not sure what velocity in .243 as book says it should be around 2400 fps and a guys chronie said 2900 fps??? The chronie seemed to be working properly on his guns.
What is your intended usage?

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of res45
posted Hide Post
carpetman1, does the 223 have a 1:10 twist bore? If so you may have to slow that lighter weight bullet down to around 1800 to 1900 fps. it's definitely going to be under 2K fps.

The 243 and 22-250 have much slower twist bores usually 1:12 and 1:14 so you can get higher velocity and still keep the bullet at a relatively low RPM which keeps the bullet stable, compared to the 1:10 twist bore at the same velocity. Cast bullets really get crazy accuracy wise when you push the RPM envelope.

Posts: 35 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of res45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
Where are 22 cal preferably gas checked bullets available.
Thanks

This is the only place that I know of, but they are pricey.
http://www.beartoothbullets.co...lletselect/index.htm

Posts: 35 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carpetman,
Thanks for rhe suggestion. But I will shoot these very sparingly.
Could not justify the cost of molds and casting equipment.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
REs 54--I tried from starting load data to max with several powders--all patterns--no groups. I'm not sure what twist Winchester uses on these. It's no big deal that it doesn't shoot cast as the other two seems to be harder to find something that doesn't shoot than something that does.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
Carpetman,
Thanks for rhe suggestion. But I will shoot these very sparingly.
Could not justify the cost of molds and casting equipment.

Perhaps try to get hold of the projectiles used in 22 magnum rimfire rounds. I use them for reduced loads in my 223. I run them at approx 2500 fps and they're reasonably accurate at around 1.25 MOA.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I think you can but bulk jacketted bullets are very low price.

I have a number of cardboard boxes with plastic bags packed of lots of 1,000 bullets in many calibers.

May be this is the way to go for cheap bullets.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66762 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of res45
posted Hide Post
JRE just wondering if your looking for some reduced loads for your 223 Hodgdon has subsonic loads on there site using Titegroup an Trailboss using Hornady 55 gr. FMJ's

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip, res45.

Over the years and where appropriate I've used cast bullet load data as a starting point. In some of their loading books, Lyman also list accuracy loads, which can be quite handy.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys
I ordered some of the beartooth bullets referenced above.

NRA Patron member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ten days after ordering, I received an e mail from them, 12 weeks back ordered

NRA Patron member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are some for sale on gun broker in several different variations. Gas checked,plain base, hollow point, wide flat nose, etc.

Posts: 61 | Location: Big Timber Mt. / Campbell NY | Registered: 27 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks J Seely, I forgot to check there. I will order some from there.

NRA Patron member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Received my bullets from Reeds in OKC.
They look great, when some of the snow melts, I’ll test them.

NRA Patron member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I shot some of these at starlings and jack rabbits. They were very destructive. Velocity is 2300 according to my manual.

NRA Patron member