THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Target Load... .44Mag, Bullseye or WW231?
 Login/Join

Picture of boomstick
posted
Anyone out there have a good load for Bullseye or WW231 for a Keith "type" generic lead cast @ 240 gr.

Posts: 30 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
I use 6.5 grs. of Bullseye with a Lyman #429421. It's very accurate in my M29 and Rossi. Gets appox. 850fps out of the 29. Never have had any luck with W231 in anything but keep trying.(have almost 3lbs. of the stuff.)

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I've used 231 but it was so long ago that I don't have the recipe anymore. I use 7 or 7.5 grains of unique and get excellent results.

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
boomstick,

7.0 Greendot, RCBS 44-250-K...nuff said...BCB

Posts: 212 | Location: WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of boomstick
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies...

I tried 6.0 gr. Bullseye. Comfortable to shoot but lots of smoke out the end of the barrel.

My model 629 Classic DX w/ 6.5 inch barrel uses all of the powder up but my 629 w/ 3 inch snubnose barrel spits flame out about 6 inches.

Anyone know of a better load for the CCW pistol?

Posts: 30 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can back off to 4.3 to 4.5 gr Bullseye and see what happens.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Lyman's first edition cast bullet manual, Elmer Keith says that his practice load was 5.0 gr. of Bullseye with his bullet. He said that at 25 yards, it shot to the same place as his full power load.
When I used it, it seemed to do the same for me. I would imagine that a similar load of W-231 would do the same, although I haven't gotten around to trying it.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote