THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Chamber casting, poured too much, what now?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
lar45: Take the action out of the wood, strip it as far as possible, stand it tang-down in a tuna can, and heat SLOWLY AND GENTLY until a drop of water will JUST boil off slowly and ecvaporate, and the Cerrosafe should run out and clear the action with a few taps on the tang. That is, unless you totally de-greased the action, and even then it shouldn't bond itself to the steel. THe problem is its characteristic of expanding after it has cooled awhile, which locks it into various recesses. DO NOT OVERHEAT, as the alloy is supposed to have some Cadmium in it, and that is BAD STUFF! floodgate

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Hi all, I was doing some chamber casts today and messed up on the Mosin Nagant.
I poured too much and it came up above the chamber so it wouldn't pound out. I used a propane torch to melt some on the top and tried pouring it out. I then put a cleaning rod in from the barrel, set it on the floor, heated the casting material and thumped the rifle down on the cleaning rod to break the sides off and get the cast out. It now looks like I have the stuff soldered inside the action in the lug recess.
I am dissasembleing the rifle and am thinking about heating with a propane torch to try and melt it out.
Any other ideas?
When I get it all apart, I'll see if I can get in with a dental pick but it seems to really be set in there.
Maybe I'll have to pull the barrel to get it all cleaned out.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
To elucidate, here's the chemical makeup of cerrosafe, straight out of McMaster Carr:

Bismuth: 42.5%
Lead: 37.7%
Tin: 11.3%
Cadmium: 8.5%

Toolmaker

Posts: 1000 | Location: in the shop as usual | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote