New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bator 358-260 fs
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
Due to the short throat on my 350 Rigby, the long bator bullet just isn't working for my gun. I've considered running a fly cutter over the mold to take off the rear drive band, and use the rear lube groove for a gas check shank. But, I figured I'd see if anyone was interested in the mold before I put it on a mill.

For those not familiar with the bullet and mold, it was a special run through Midway from Lee. Only 25 were made, and it is a 6 cavity mold, and bullets finish ~280 gr from ww's.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul -
You've got my attention. What diameter does it throw (WW) and what diameter is the nose? How much are you need for it? I have the Lyman 358009 DC - how does it compare - lighter, same or heavier (if known). I've got the Rem 700 Classic in 35Wheelen with, unfortunately a twist a little too slow, so weight/length is important.

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
trk - your twist is too slow? Buddy, you may be in big luck with this mold!

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ric -
That's exactly what I'm hoping, and I KNOW that someone out there would enjoy the 358009.

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Paul H, Trk, Guys, should youdecide to 'trim' the first check and driving band off the mould you'll end up with a bullet that weights in at just about 200 Grains. The bullet is designed that way. For those who want to take the 'excess weight and length' off. Good luck, good shooting. Wally

Posts: 2 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: 20 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While on this subject, how many of you would be interested in getting Wally's 200, well really 235 grain or so, Bator bullet made in a 6 hole mould? I love that bullet, but hate the cheezy 2 hole mould and would love to see that made in the higher quality 6 hole home. How many folks would be interested?

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bator; I've shortened a few molds. Been trimed on a lathe by a friend.
A LEE 22 caliber that I wanted a lighter bullet for a 1:16" K-Hornet. I first cast a couple of bullets from the mold, then put a cast bullet in a vise, holding it by the nose and filled off the base as square as I could, testing the weight till I got to the approximate weight I wanted. Then using a dial caliper, measured as close as I could with a 'good' bullet how much was missing from the base of the shortened bullet. Ten that much was turned off the top of the mold, had to shorten the cut off plate screw also. Also did this to a LEE .401tl mold,made a 135 gr boolit/mold, not very accurate in the ole 10mm

Posts: 33 | Location: the dalles, orygun | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graycg:
While on this subject, how many of you would be interested in getting Wally's 200, well really 235 grain or so, Bator bullet made in a 6 hole mould? I love that bullet, but hate the cheezy 2 hole mould and would love to see that made in the higher quality 6 hole home. How many folks would be interested?

regards,
Graycg

I have one of the 6 cavity Bator/Lee molds (the .358 260gr) and the workmanship is great. Bullets just leap out when I open the mold!

I'd be interested in a 6 cavity mold of the smaller bullet!

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
graycg. Count me in on the 6 cavity 233gr. my 16" twist barrel loves them, & it would be great to have a higher quality mold to really crank them out. Ron.D

Posts: 59 | Location: Barrie Ont. Can. | Registered: 20 September 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trk:
Paul -
You've got my attention. What diameter does it throw (WW) and what diameter is the nose? How much are you need for it? I have the Lyman 358009 DC - how does it compare - lighter, same or heavier (if known). I've got the Rem 700 Classic in 35Wheelen with, unfortunately a twist a little too slow, so weight/length is important.

Would you be interested in trading the 358009 for the lee mold? The 250-358 is nominally a 250 gr mold, but drops closer to 270 from wheelweights. As I recall the bullets come out .259-260", I'll have to measure them, and the nose is full dia.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:

regards,
Graycg

I'd definately be interested in a 6 shooter of the ~200 gr version.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm generally impressed with the Lee mould. Reasonably well made (considering the controversial reputation of Lee). Throws bullets fast. Alloy at 780dF and mould at 405dF. With mostly pure lead weighs about the same as the 358009. It is a little shorter. Unfortunatly it is way too large on the nose to chamber in either the .35 Wheelen (Rem 700) or .35 Rem (7 goove Marlin and in the TC).

So, it's going to get milled. That will put the driving bands in the right place for the neck to crimp too.

Won't be until at least a month down the road - too many hot projects at work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I started doing a bit of work with the Bator "Heavy" today. Actually, it was shooting pretty good with a full case of WC872. About three inches at a hundred, velocity probably down in the 1400 fps neighborhood. I'll try something a bit more skookum tomorrow, and see what it will do. I have to run these long things through the lubrisizer base first, and than turn them over and do them nose first, also. There is enough lead, they tend to bump up a bit on the nose in the sizing, and this could be part of the problem with them not fitting the throats of people's rifles.
These aren't supposed to be a benchrest bullet, they were made as big game killers as thier forte, pure and simple. If I can get a good load at 1800 or so, I'll be shooting a buffalo with it next month, just to see how it works.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I tried a load of 42 gr. WC872 today behind the heavy Bator. It wasn't sailing along very fast, but it did go into a group of 1.6". Definitely would do a deer, and most likely an elk. I tried pushing things along faster with WC852, and at 42 gr. it had a VERY definite push, and group was in the six inch size. I dropped down to 40, and then 38 grains. The group was shrinking, until I reached the 4" mark. Had to stop there, work called. I'll try to do some chrono work tomorrow, and see just what these loads are producing speed-wise. I suspect I will hit a speed limitation on these that is rather low, but still usable in the .358 Win. working range.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What about reaming the throat?

Anyone done it in .358?

What angle - I would ASSUME gentle (from the throat in my Ruger #1 in .458 WM.) would work well.

How deep? I'd like to just be engaged when the base of the boolet is at the base of the neck.

What brand - Clymer? others?

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I'll go in on this one if there is enough interest to get it done.

quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
quote:

regards,
Graycg

I'd definately be interested in a 6 shooter of the ~200 gr version.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll add my name to the list for the Bator 200 ( actually 235)in the 6 cavity. It shoots quite well in my 16" twist & would be nice to turn out a bunch of good ones fast.

Posts: 59 | Location: Barrie Ont. Can. | Registered: 20 September 2002Reply With Quote
<ben.>
posted
Graycg: You can count me in on Wallys 200 gr also
ben.

posted Hide Post
I believe I'd like to have one. Count me in.

Leadsmith

Posts: 6 | Location: Ft Worth TX | Registered: 25 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Me too! Me too!

grumble

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote