THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone got any LBT mould sprue hold down fingers?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello,
My trusty 30 Caliber 2 cavity LBT mould is out of commission as the hold down finger that holds the sprue plate flat to the mould blocks has broken. The mould won't make a decent bullet without that in place. Anyong got any spares they would be willing to part with? Please let me know.

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
graycg
I have broken a couple of em my own self.
They are just a roll pin bent and ground off on the tip.
Real easy to make yerself a new one too. [Wink]

Posts: 70 | Location: USA,CO. | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never cared for the design Smith used for that hold down finger-- forget once alloy seeped into that area and the finger was toast.

I use a steel wire finger made from a coat hanger-- attached to the mold side with a screw. More durable and easily replaceable. I'll sent a Jpeg of how I made this if you want.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I used the same technique as Aladin when I broke the hold down on a buddies LBT. I used 1/8" music wire, and d/t'd the mold for set screw to hold it in place. Works better then the original as well.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really appreciate all your ideas and help. I'm new to the forum but very happy to have found it. I concur that the design of the finger isn't so hot, but the darn thing won't work without some pressure in that spot.
If I ever get home again from my current duties, I'll put them to work.

thanks,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used a set screw on my 452 300 WFN. Used the existing hole, it worked well, and was low-tech and easy. Tony

one of us
posted Hide Post
"I concur that the design of the finger isn't so hot, but the darn thing won't work without some pressure in that spot"

I like the hold down feature and modify Lee molds to about the same setup. Thing I don't like are the LBT roll pins-- too fragile.

You CAN use an LBT w/o a hold down, at least I do with my 45 caliber mold and a heavy custom made sprue plate. I never liked the LBT feature which allows alloy into the second cavity before the first is maxed out. So I invested all of $15 to Bob Gremmell for a one of his customs-- I like the results very much. I have his contact info if anyone's interested.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's the link for the custom sprue plates from Bob Gremmell.

http://www.castingstuff.com/gmw__products.htm