Find
Notify
Tools

New Lyman Mould
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted
Has anyone used any of the new tapered Lyman bullet moulds for 40 or 45 cal? These seem to be very similar to the Hoch LBT shape but with base pour.
I am hoping to get one for bench shooting mt Sharps at 200yds.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wallace, haven't heard of that new Lyman?
Can you post a link to a picture of the new bullet?
Sounds like something I would like to try out in my coming 40-65win Highwall.

Posts: 30 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lyman No 410678

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/rbulleta.htm

It is a tapered bullet which allows more powder space and to be seated out to progressively engage the lands.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello again Wallace!

Thanks for your rapid reply!
I've been experimenting alot with my 45-70 Pedersoli Rolling-Block. The chamber in this gun is strange, there is almost no forcing cone ahead of the chamber. To be able to load long bore riding bullets like the #457125 or #457132 in my small bore (11,30mm = .4449") barrel I had to size the noses of these bullets, so I made a special sizing die that i push the bullets in nose first and extract them out the same way they came in. This gives a bullet that actually is halfway (the nose) already in the barrel and 100% supported, lined up and guided by the lands, and also the cartridge and the bullet was pushed another 2mm further in when closing the breech. This gives good accuracy even with this less than perfect barrel.

Now to the point...
The tapered bullets look something like the #457121 bullets that i sized in the same manner and having several drivingbands sized to bore-diameter, allowing for about 80gn of powder by seating the bullet very shallow in the case.
Well the results were very dissapointing, the groups were bad whatever I changed.. so I dropped this Idea.
But maybe it will work with another combination, bullet and rifle??
I would not hesitate to try another combination out!

Posts: 30 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BP,
I have had a Pedersoli Sharps in 45/70 & 40/65 as well as a rolling block target model in 45/70 for about 3 years. (My new Sharps long Range in 50/70 will be here in about 3 weeks, Yippee!)

Firstly to the Lyman 457132 Postell. I had a lot of trouble with this in my Pedersoli untill recently. I cast a relatively soft projectile of approx 1:28 (526.5gn)and had the same problem of oversized nose.

My seating die had a flat punch that was expanding that nose by 0.002-0025" and making loading difficult. I made a new seating punch that fits the nose of the 457132 perfectly and problem is solved. Bullet now just rides the top of the rifling and accuracy is excellent.

The problem with both 45/70 and 40/65 is powder capacity. In the 45/70 I use 62gn 3F Swiss and in the 40/65 57gn. I am tempted to buy another 457132 and machine the bottom driving band off as described in Mathews book on "Shooting the BPCR" but this bullet now shoots so well I think I will leave alone.

The 40/65 however is driving a 420gn at only 1080fps with 57gn and I have ordered one of the new tapered moulds form Lyman in order to get more velocity.

About 5 months ago, I read about a BP duplex load and tried this in the 40/65 consisting of 15gn 4F and 45gn 3F with a 420gn Snover bullet. This load now chronographs at 1218fps with good accuracy. I can now shoot chickens at 200m with my soft load and pigs at 300m with the duplex without changing sight settings.

I will keep you posted on the 40/65 tapered bullet after I have tried it out.