New
Find
Notify
Tools

Karabiner!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This is my second attempt to post on the new Karabiner mold from Midsouth. I don't think I'm very good at this.

The mold arrived earlier this week and my first chance to cast was today. A word about how I cast. Lee four pound pot, and a Lyman dipper I bought with that first mold in about '76. I know that you are all aware that bottom pour pots are no but a passing fad that will fade away when decency, good taste, and the United States Constitution return to the world. Never have tried water quenching, so I just drop the bullets onto several thicknesses of all cotton terry cloth towel. The sprues are returned to the pot after each cast, while the mold cools, and if the mold gets to hot, it is cooled by touching it to another towel, dampened with water. This is kept well away from the pot.

I prepared the mold following Lee's instructions but didn't do it well enough as only three of the first fourty eight bullets were useable, so returned all of them to the pot and started again. I cast three lots of sixty bullets, picking the best fifty from each lot. This time it was necessary to look pretty close to find ten rejects. In fact, with the last lot I could only find four bullets with any reason to reject them.

I added more wheel weights and solder in between lots, and used the time the pot was reheating to clean a nasty Turkish Mauser barrel. Did I mention that the alloy is four pounds wheel weights and four ounces 50/50 solder?

My mold does not release the bullets quite as well as some others have reported, so polishing of the cavities is probable comming soon.

I weighed and measured the last six bullets from the last lot. All were lightly frosted, and all from the same cast. Weights averaged 229.1 grains, with a high of 229.9 and a low of 228.6. That seems pretty good from six different cavities and a pretty indifferent caster. Diameters were .326 on the lower band, .324 on the upper band, and .3194 on the nose. Measured on the part line, all measurements were uniformly .0004 larger. The difference in diameter from one cavity to the next is not worth reporting. Oh, the nose measurement was just in front of the upper band. These bullets are beautiful.

As soon as I get a .323 sizer and a nose punch, I will lube and size these and find out if they shoot as well as they cast and look.

Thank you muchly, Oldfeller, Lee, and Midsouth.

Any one working on a .38-55 bullet? I am waiting on one from Dan at Mountain Molds, with great anticipation. He seems far too modest, if all I hear from those who have his molds are correct.

Posts: 52 | Location: Spring Creek, NV | Registered: 18 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a chance to try out the new 8MM bullets today. I only loaded the Karabiners have not loaded any Maxs yet. My old standby 4895 loads worked like they always do very consistant groups of about 1" at 50 yards with a scoped turkish mauser. I also tried some IMR 5010 loads which really show promise, except that it's REALLY DIRTY. Lift all sorts of unburned powder in the barrel and in the cases. Will try the max bullet this weekend.

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ed,

I have heard reports that full case loads of 5010 burn "somewhat cleaner" under the heavier 8mm Maximum (250 grain weight) when it is set up to be a hard crush seat in the throat. Obviously, the starting pressure is higher, so the pressure curve elevates upwards and actually burns more of the powder (and also has a "cleaner" burn to it as well).

IMR 5010 isn't really a clean burning powder to me no matter how it is set up, but I have seen a reduced amount of unburned grains when "set-up tight" myself under the 8mm Maximum bullet.

IMR 7383 burns better yet, but only requires 35 grains to get to a good working load. You CAN go higher, up to 40+ grains (burning cleaner all the way) BUT your shoulder begins to get whacked pretty good and your flinch starts to open the groups up some.

I really haven't felt the motivation to go explore the theoretical 40+ grain pressure sign maximum IMR 7383 load for the 8mm Maximum bullet, I will leave that for some younger, more engergetic fellow to do .... (one with an iron shoulder).

Between the two, I will use IMR 7383 for most of my 8mm loads, both for the lower powder cost and "cleaner" burning aspects of it. I am beginning to like that 35 grain loading for "easy shooting" though, easy on my shoulder that is.

Oldfeller

Posts: 386 | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote