Find
Notify
Tools

Casting issues.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted
Just cast up a few pistol bullets for my 38. I use an old Lyman pot and I had it turned up to about 750*, but I am still getting voids. Do I need to crank the heat all the way up or ? Ambient temp is probably in the low 60's.

Posts: 10107 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
voids are cause by the bullet not having enough alloy available to it during the cooling phase.

pour more alloy over the sprue.

Posts: 4954 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
And make sure your mold is not cold.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66669 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
True, I set my mould over the pot while the lead is warming.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I always heat up my mold. But I think in the cooler temps maybe my sprue plate wasnt getting hot enough. Gonna try getting that a little hotter, thanks guys.

Posts: 10107 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I have a 9mm 125gr Lee aluminum mold that one cavity always has what appears to be a blemish. I have tried a lot of different mixes and temp and on and on and it is still there. I powder coated a bunch and shot them and they shot good.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A cheap hotplate from Walmart or a thrift store to heat the mould is valuable far beyond it’s cost.

Posts: 3 | Location: NW Florida  | Registered: 06 January 2022Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
It could be some contaminate in the cavity, such as bees wax lube, or oil. I spray brake cleaner and blow it out with compressed air to clean the cavities, and this seems to do the trick!

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote