New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: TLC258~75-RF
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Waiting on the PB version, Grumble. Once it gets posted, I'll start working on the order form and should have that up a couple of days later. I asked Tim to replace the rear band and shank with one more groove and a .090 base band so the two versions will be almost identical. PB might weigh a few grains more, but they'll be mighty close.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
If it does weigh more at the same length, that's a ballistic advantage twist wise. Adding the thickness of the gas check should be done to keep the overall finished length exactly the same, just for grins, of course. But it does not matter because the twist requirements are not marginal. Even the old 16 twist guns will shoot these boolits with grace galore. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Adding the thickness of the gas check should be done to keep the overall finished length exactly the same, just for grins, of course.

Never thought of that, Felix, but Tim may well have. The space needed for an extra groove and an .090 base band was a TRCH more than the existing band and shank. Wouldn't surprise me none if the difference was the thickness of a GC. That Tim is a slick one.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The gas check should add about .010" more as that's about how thick the material is. I use the cat-whisker for measuring - since they vary from .005 to .020" it's a good approximate measure.

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tim,
I'm sure you're putting a lot of time and effort into this,
THANKS!
And a /{;o) to Leftoverdj and Beagledog for getting involved in the organisation and communications!
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who's eagerly awaiting an order form. Just got the balance off to Lars today for the 30cal PB plinker,,,,now, do I really really need a PB 25cal????? Dang, not unless I do a number on a Ruger and try and build a 25-20 revolter,,,, uh oh,,, he's thinkin' again! LOL.
Take care all!
R*2
Ps. Just to pass the time, I've been crankin' up my Win 71 in 348, WOWOWOW, now here's a serious lever action. 2400fps with a 200gr condom at the moment, and I'm even startin' to learn how to shoot the old girl, {Red Face).

Posts: 129 | Location: NorthEast | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote