Find
Notify
Tools

slugging barrels
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
HI,

I am very new to this so I am learning every time I see anything about casting. I understand to get the mould that best fits your barrel a person has to slug his barrel. I have heard that if I go to the fishing store and get a tear drop lead fishing sinker that is .001 or.002 larger than my barrel, I will use a caliper to make sure I am where I want.I than use a wooden dollie to push the sinker through the barrel and it will give me the right dia for my barrel and mould???. Is this okay. Thanks,Kev kfg500@aol.com

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kev:
HI,

I am very new to this so I am learning every time I see anything about casting. I understand to get the mould that best fits your barrel a person has to slug his barrel. I have heard that if I go to the fishing store and get a tear drop lead fishing sinker that is .001 or.002 larger than my barrel, I will use a caliper to make sure I am where I want.I than use a wooden dollie to push the sinker through the barrel and it will give me the right dia for my barrel and mould???. Is this okay. Thanks,Kev <a href="mailto:kfg500@aol.com" target="_blank">kfg500@aol.com</a>

What is even more important Kev is matching the throat dia of your gun. Usually it's somewhat larger than the groove dia-- the bullet is then swaged to groove dia. Goes to aligning the slug with the bore at chambering-- most important cast DE-tale for accuracy.

We asked earlier-- have you ordered that mold, ie- are you locked into a Lee? Thing is- for that money there's much better alternatives.

And- yes pushing a soft sinker thru is one way of slugging a bore. Making an impact slug of the throat is how you determine throat specs usually. But in your case you could get them off the chambering reamer.

[ 09-14-2002, 20:48: Message edited by: aladin ]

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

no I am not lock in I did send them a HC bullet type that I like, but have not made a order or paid for a mold. So I am open for other places I could have a mold made. Thanks,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote