New
Find
Notify
Tools

Made it!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
You know, I was only new over on "Shooter's Talk" and now it's all over. If this happens to "Accurate Reloading", I'll feel responsible. I promise that I'll never pollute the web again if this happens! In the meantime I'll be in my garage inventing problems that have never yet existed, and solutions to those self same problems. I'm sure that you all just can't wait to find out how Ive modified my Lub-a-matic II to help eliminate lube leaking under my cast projectiles when using those soft lubes. I feel like Edison and Einstien rolled into one!

Posts: 40 | Location: Pacific North West U.S.A. | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, EdisonCheekyEinstien, let's here, or better yet, see it. I recognize a good lead-in when I see one.

Best to all, Ernie

Posts: 52 | Location: Spring Creek, NV | Registered: 18 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good lord, I can't even spell hear. Here, here!

Ernie

Posts: 52 | Location: Spring Creek, NV | Registered: 18 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell me if you've heard this one already, OK? When using RCBS pistol lube and Jevelena lube I was getting a bit of lube leaking under the projectiles, possibly because you have to have these soft sticky lubes under more pressure to make them flow at room temp, as compared to a "hard lube" made to melt a bit with a lube heater of some description.
So, the lube is forced under the base of the projectile as well as into the lube grooves. This was happening to both plane based and GCed projectiles. What the RCBS Lub-a-matic REALLY needs is a bit of pressure between the bullet ram and the bullet, right? But not enough to deform the bullet with the top punch. So I used this coil spring that fits around the ram return rod and actually presses against the bottom of the ram when the ram is fully returned. There is enough give in the spring so that on full depression of the bullet and ram the bottom of the ram comes to rest against the return rod and the spring is almost fully compressed. It was a very cheap fix ( 50 cents at a hardware store ), and about the least complicated modification I've ever made to ANYTHING EVER! The same could be achieved by adding a couple of coil springs to the upstroke legs, thereby continualy pushing that little bit of horizontal steel up against the return rod.
Was this solution of any use to anybody? Am I just reinventing the wheel?
Thanks, Cheeky. ( down in the garage )

Posts: 40 | Location: Pacific North West U.S.A. | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
<reverenddan>
posted
Cheeky,

Really interested in your idea, how about a pic?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cheeky, I don't remember encountering this one before. It sounds good, as I have the same problem sometimes. When I get a chance to lube some more bullets in the RCBS, will try to get a suitable spring and give it a try. Thanks for the prod in that direction.
A picture would be useful.
Ernie

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys, I don't have access to a digital camera. I'm sorry as well about the conveluted description I supplied. When I reread the message I see why a picture is worth a thousand words! It's like trying to describe how to play tennis or chess as compared to just doing it.
I can elaborate a little and advise that the spring I used had to have an inside diameter large enough to fit around the return rod, and also an outer diameter small enough to fit up into the part of the sizer that holds the sizing die. On full compression the spring should allow the return punch to fully bottom out, rather than scrunch up on the spring coils. I would imagine that springs of varying tension could be played with. Kind of like messing with recoil springs in your 1911. I toyed with putting springs onto the "legs", but I was concerned about continual loading on those two little "C" clips that attach the legs to the press. I'm very happy that I may have proven to be some use to the Casting Community.
I'll be down in the garage for a while inventing more solutions to problems that you never knew you had.
Happy New Year to ALL. Cheeky.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, what's happening to me? I seem to still exist over in "Shooters". Is this another variation on the "Schrodinger's Cat" paradox? Does this mean that the multiple universe theory can be accepted on a real world scale and not just demonstrated with dancing quanta and subatomic particles?
These parallel worlds are supposed to split off like yeast cells in a homebrew, but each reality is different, right? I'm going to go and check all of my reloading tables posthaste in case something has changed! Who knows, maybe the federal government has made the cost of casting and reloading a tax deduction. Pigs might have sprouted wings. Al Gore and Joseph Stalin may have compeled their theological educations. Who can tell!!??