Find
Notify
Tools

To gas-check or to not to gas-check ???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dino32HR
posted
I will be using 180 to 210 grain cast bullets in a 300 Whisper 10" T/C. They will be subsonic. Do I need gas checks if I keep the fps below 1050? Will there be any advantage to using gas-checks even at this velocity? Accuracy? Reduced leading?

Thanks !

Posts: 243 | Location: Northeast OH | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The ballistic environment you describe could be well-served with plain-based boolits. If you have a gas-check design, I suggest that you use gas checks with it. While others have reported good results using gas check designs w/o the checks, that has not happened for me. The base of a bullet is its steering end, and is the last part of the bullet to have contact with the muzzle/crown. EVERY bit of consistency possible should be present at the boolit's base.

Posts: 299 | Location: Yucaipa CA | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dino32HR
posted Hide Post
Al,

Thanks. I was looking at a Leadheads 205 grain .309 boolit. It is available with or without the gas check and accordingly is designed for one. The cost differential isn't that much. I was just wondering overall if there were any advantages. I have read that the base is as, or more important than the front of the bullet in regard to accuracy. I have seen some UGLY gas check applications out there though that would lead me to believe if you don't need 'em, don't use 'em!

I would postulate though that Leadheads will provide quality work in regard to the gas check application.

Thanks again.

Posts: 243 | Location: Northeast OH | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a caster, the price of the gas check is a price hike that only makes sense if it makes a positive difference in a load. If a caster purchases a mold design with gas check shank, he/she should expect to purchase gas checks to maximize performance. The payoff is increased velocity potential--but increased velocity does not equate to enhanced accuracy--and can indeed degrade same. The velocity you indicate for the boolits is pretty non-critical, and some of my best loads run between 950-1100 FPS.

Posts: 299 | Location: Yucaipa CA | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dino, if the bullet is designed for a gas check, use it. I tried shooting gas check boolits from a 30-30 without them and the boolits all went through the target sideways at 50 yds. With the checks on these boolits, I could hit a nickel at 100 yds. You would be fine with a plain base boolit in that caliber. Just decide which you want.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote