New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: custom molds
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi All! I realy think we need to do 2 molds. We need the one for the standard .308 bores ( about .309 to .311 as cast diameter) and then one for the larger bores ( which I know little of). I would buy at least 1 of each. The .308 size needs to be a plinker- no gas check, etc. just like we talked about. 45 2.1 has about the right idea. this is the plinker one I envisioned. the other one- I would be interested in either mild or wild.

To Glenn. Thank You for your generous offer. I would sure enclose a little extra with my mold money for your time and trouble! Since you have the experience to deal with Lee, I hope you are the one to 'run' this.

Now that I think about it, if we do the original plinker design, I will take 3 of them! All we need are 22 more! Anyone else?

( an afterthought- after the near misses many of us got this weeekend/holiday- be thankful for what you have!)

Dale

Posts: 301 | Location: Xenia,Il. 62899 | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 475/480
posted Hide Post
I will take 1 of the original plinkers (.309-.311) 160gr?
Sean

Posts: 562 | Location: Houston Tx | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
trk-
You have an E-mail.

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I hope I'm not stepping on anybody's toes, just offering to help where I can. If I run this, I don't need/ want anything extra. I think the $41 came out pretty close on the 358-180's. Some shipping was more and some was less.

Thought on the boolit? I don't have it dimensioned yet, but will get on that. Is the rebated tapered base too much? Or should it just have a tapered base starting at the last driveing band? Was a nose length of .3" asked for? What about meplat size? What about a bore rideing nose that tapers from .304 to .300 over .2" and then contoured into a meplat of about .2"? Just thoughts.
Feedback?

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LAR45 - good drawing. I think there are several points of aim for boolets here. The fun part now are the many perspectives and oppinions - and getting a design that enough people agree with and that's a good design and get it made. That's where the leadership (perhaps more than one person?) needs to define the goal(s) and work up the design(s).

The gas check shank on the 30 HBC works very well - you might want to mimic it's dimensions. (I'll send them to you if need be).

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

trk--- The tumble lube groove dimensions from the Lee second edition is --- inside top edge of groove to inside top edge is .040, band width is .010, groove angle is 26 degree's, its just a vee bottom groove.

Good description - THANKS. Check out what I draw to ensure that it's as you described.

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Slowpoke -

On the groove angle - is it 26d included (as shown) or 26 degrees on both sides (from the vertical)?

http://www.hunt101.com/img/168008.jpg

160 gr. tumble lube version of 311041

posted Hide Post
trk--

I am Not very good at explaining it I know.

The lube grooves are vee shaped, the .040 is the widest part of the V, each side of the V is 26 degree's, the drive bands are .010 wide.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lar 45- hmmmmm.... a kind and gentle offer to help is how I take it. I really think this would be a fun and useful bullet.I have full power cast loads but rarely need them. I do need QUANTITIES of an accurate plinker. No sizing and no gascheck seems good to me. C'mon guys, lets do this tumble lube plinker- ( Rah, Rah, sis boom bah! )

On your fat 30 bullet: I would like about eveything you guys don't (mainly as an experiment) but still, I want one for my fat 30.

Posts: 301 | Location: Xenia,Il. 62899 | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote