THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Cast Bullets    62.5 grs..........."I feel the need for some speed"

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

62.5 grs..........."I feel the need for some speed"
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
 -

I've been testing some lube components this winter and hopefully spring if it'll come. On a lark two weeks ago I dropped 62.5 grs of H-4831 under hard heat treated LBT spitzers in WW brass. This made 2680 av fps with very good accuracy albeit the fifth rd opening that grouping to almost three inches. A cold day, cold hands and a fairly strong wind I offer for alibi. Yet the lube worked very good-- not a speck of leading, this group fired after 50 rds that day- many of which were PB's.

Next trip saw same chg with Brigadier 4831 making 2720 albeit in Rem brass which has less capacity and should produce more speed for the same chg wt. That three shot went 2" flat.

Encouraged by this lube's apparent success, I loaded 62.5 of Aliant 22-- knowing this fuel would make considerably more speed. The Oehler chrono read 2855 fps for the three with an ES of 30 using the first rd for a 'load fouler'. Even my shooten buddy who's a 270 WSM fanatic agreed that was 'real fast for cast'.. Group made 1 7/8" at 100. It's the outlined triangle on the left towards the top.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aladin:

OK on the fast shooting with the small bore 30, very nice too.

As a cast bullet shooter myself I must say that I'm a little mystified by all that speed.

To me it kind of begs the question: Why not just shoot jacketed in the first place?

I'm no pure lead shooting fellow you see, I have my jacketed rifles and jacketed loads for various uses but I shoot lead for completely different reasons/purposes that don't blend in well with high velocity.

Really, I'm curious.

Good morning,
Forrest

Posts: 246 | Location: Northern Wyoming | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest mostly for the sake of doing it. And I've found a bullet that'll do anything at that speed shots even better slowed down.

Also I learned more about cast and rifles shooten fast cast than I ever did by any other experimentation.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Aladin,
Is the bullet a bore rider or just a standard LBT?

Posts: 10 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: 24 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MTN:
Aladin,
Is the bullet a bore rider or just a standard LBT?

Neither. The standard LBT is more a Loverin per the older design. This one has three drivers with the first the widest blending into the spitzer ogive.

-

posted Hide Post
quote:

This one has three drivers with the first the widest blending into the spitzer ogive.

Is the front band tapered?

Does the front band start out full diameter?

What is the advantage of the radiused grooves?

Posts: 10 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: 24 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Is the front band tapered?"

No-- its full dia. I alloy up to produce a driver 3090 to 3095. The two rear drivers cast .3125

"What is the advantage of the radiused grooves?"

The way Smith designed them the deepest part of the lube groove is forward in that recessed area with a gradual slant towards the next driver. The inertia of accelleration more easily forces all the lube back against the driver area for lubrication. If I can get a good pic later of this groove feature I'll post it.

Are you designing or considering a custom mold?

one of us
posted Hide Post
 -

If you look at the bottom lube grooves you can see the slanted profile to the rear as I described.

I'd like to get a custom mold cut similar to this design but at 1.25" OAL with a more streamlined nose profile. Something as flight efficent as any jacketed spitzer...

David Mos or who??

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information, aladin.

I'm just soaking up information and filing it away for later use.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is fast. Was wondering what lube you're working with? If this is a home brew would you mind sharing what went into it?

Posts: 80 | Location: West Central WI | Registered: 02 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gutshot_again:
That is fast. Was wondering what lube you're working with? If this is a home brew would you mind sharing what went into it?

Gutshot that brew confidential for the time being. If it works out it might be for sale-- I dunno yet.

Biggest barrier to that kind of speed is pure psi's. That load made real close to the max for the 06 headsize. Note I didn't say 06 cartridge specs because I exceeded them. Sealing those gases from coming up is the chore, via the land intolerances and barrel runout-- not to mention throat fitting.

I did fire a 10 rd followup to the 2855 loading. Leading NO-- just the slightest grey wash which is expected at that pressure and speed. The tite patching followup went thru slick. Yet accuracy wasn't nearly as good as the three grouper... Someone had the OAL of the loaded rds too short....

More film at 11:00

one of us
posted Hide Post
 -

62.5 grs.... Accurate 3100. That first rd high is a fouler and being of entirely different ingredients that the lubricant used previously- the shot goes to old pt of aim. The fifth rd is just off the paper where the black dot is located-- those four making 2.2" at 100. Ave fps is 2764 with an ES of 20 for five rds. No leading-- using of all things a black powder lube I'm developing.
Same bullet as top target.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shot a follow up to the 62.5 grs of 3100 using 215's and lube of a somewhat more maleable density. And-- the bullets weren't from the same lot number with that first wide driver going 3080-3085 rather than the 3090. Grouped opened but didn't lead or tumble. Speed was exactly the same though at av 2764 fps.

60.5 grs of 3100 made 2720's with a jacketed 165 Speer BT otta my other gun having a 24" tube. This gun runs 30-40 fps over the 22" Marlin on average. Accuracy of this loading was nothing to inspire enthusiasm.

[ 03-10-2003, 16:47: Message edited by: aladin ]