New
Find
Notify
Tools

Use of Gas Checks on regular cast bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have read that you should not use crimp on gas checks on cast bullets that are not made for them. This makes sense but I ran a couple non gas check bullets through my lyman 450 and put hornady crimp on gas checks on them. They appear to be OK, I checked dimensions and are no different in diameter than the plain lead ones and the checks are secure. I was wondering if anyone has done this:?

Posts: 2296 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by raamw:
I have read that you should not use crimp on gas checks on cast bullets that are not made for them. This makes sense but I ran a couple non gas check bullets through my lyman 450 and put hornady crimp on gas checks on them. They appear to be OK, I checked dimensions and are no different in diameter than the plain lead ones and the checks are secure. I was wondering if anyone has done this:?

I doubt it's worth pursuing, but shoot a group and see what they do. Ya just never know till you try it. Good Luck.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Rawhider>
posted
I add gaschecks to Remington swaged semi-wadcutters that have a cupped base and run them a 1000fps out of a 3" 357 this is a very soft bullet and expands well and is a no splatter on steel. use it for a carry load in handgun and small game load in carbine also load triple 7 behind the non checked bullets in a special case with mag primers for a Cowboy load.-Rawhider