The Accurate Reloading Forums
Use of Gas Checks on regular cast bullets

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1811043/m/11110248

23 July 2002, 02:59
raamw
Use of Gas Checks on regular cast bullets
I have read that you should not use crimp on gas checks on cast bullets that are not made for them. This makes sense but I ran a couple non gas check bullets through my lyman 450 and put hornady crimp on gas checks on them. They appear to be OK, I checked dimensions and are no different in diameter than the plain lead ones and the checks are secure. I was wondering if anyone has done this:?
23 July 2002, 06:48
aladin
quote:
Originally posted by raamw:
I have read that you should not use crimp on gas checks on cast bullets that are not made for them. This makes sense but I ran a couple non gas check bullets through my lyman 450 and put hornady crimp on gas checks on them. They appear to be OK, I checked dimensions and are no different in diameter than the plain lead ones and the checks are secure. I was wondering if anyone has done this:?

I doubt it's worth pursuing, but shoot a group and see what they do. Ya just never know till you try it. Good Luck.
12 August 2002, 12:18
<Rawhider>
I add gaschecks to Remington swaged semi-wadcutters that have a cupped base and run them a 1000fps out of a 3" 357 this is a very soft bullet and expands well and is a no splatter on steel. use it for a carry load in handgun and small game load in carbine also load triple 7 behind the non checked bullets in a special case with mag primers for a Cowboy load.-Rawhider