The Accurate Reloading Forums
Can I mix lubes??

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1811043/m/11010348

24 October 2002, 10:52
<BMG>
Can I mix lubes??
I purchased some rooster red and I have a tough time getting it hot enough to dip my bullets in it to lube. How do I melt it and not burn it? Also,...

*Side note: I'm dipping 1184gr .587" bullets with 5 big grooves. I tried the 'push them out' method but it didn't work. I have a .589" 'cookie cutter' to shave off the extra lube*

Can I mix the Rooster Red Zambini lube with Blue Angel, SPG, Crisco, etc?

Thanks
24 October 2002, 11:28
Paul H
Try either a heat gun or a double boiler to heat the lube.

When you say mix lubes, do you mean some bullets lubed with one lube, and other bullets with the other lube, or do you mean melt it all down and make a mystery lube? I've tested different lubes to see there effects on accuracy, and have seen signifigant differnces in some cases. I haven't tried to make mystery lube, so can't comment on whether it'll work or not.
24 October 2002, 18:25
aladin
quote:
Originally posted by BMG:
I purchased some rooster red and I have a tough time getting it hot enough to dip my bullets in it to lube. How do I melt it and not burn it? Also,...

*Side note: I'm dipping 1184gr .587" bullets with 5 big grooves. I tried the 'push them out' method but it didn't work. I have a .589" 'cookie cutter' to shave off the extra lube*

Can I mix the Rooster Red Zambini lube with Blue Angel, SPG, Crisco, etc?

Thanks

My quick solution to softer lubes is enough Slick 50 to make the consistency I want. Something on the order of 20% for the last batch I put together. I would think these newer synthetic motor oils could accomplish same.
26 October 2002, 02:04
<marrfam>
Rooster Red does not flow until it is heated to 160F at least. I tried melting some in a crock pot and it barrely even flowwed. What I do with my lubes is graded in to small peices and do the same with the Roster then put in my lube sizer.
26 October 2002, 15:37
<bigbelly>
When you shoot a cartridge of that size I think you can mix any damn thing you want.