New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back In Business
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, winds were right and went for a sit at the place I've been hunting hogs for 10+ years. Was in the seat and following a baseball game on the phone when the shooting started. 5 shots and what I thought was 2 hits--and a couple of ricochets. Texted the landowner and it was him. I hadn't remembered to tell him I was coming out. He was most apologetic--WTH? It's his place. He told me to go hunt the riverbottom pecan orchard if I wanted to, and after a short stroll to check around the trap with nothing but skunks and 'coons around, I drove to the spot along the highway that divides the place and scanned the bottom--lots of cows but no hogs. Sat there a few minutes and rescanned and picked up a bunch of them coming thru the fence from the west, so I turned around and parked just inside the gate, about a 1/4 mile from the hogs. Got out and grabbed the shooting sticks and started towards them working the wind. Finally got within shooting range and hammered a medium-large one. Hit the ground, then got up and started running. Shot twice more with one hit before it disappeared into the brush. Walked over towards the brush so I could scan to see if it had dropped in the brush when I noticed another one walking towards me. So I set up the sticks, and popped it. Down, flopping around, then up and flopping down again, then finally down for good. Hefty sow with some buns in the oven but I didn't explore to see how many. Dragged her to the river and dumped her--and headed home. One lesson learned-don't wear shorts and walk through the pasture with lots of nettles and thistles growing.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Did you find that first hog?

Got this boar around 2 a.m.. Had no help at that time, so pardon the photos.

Used the Savage 25-06/ATN Thor 160 LT 4-8x thermal combo loaded mildly with a 115 grain Ballistic Tip at 2741 fps. That load has now taken three boar hogs and 6 coyotes since the New Year. The hogs were medium-large to large, but in each instance I got an exit. Am liking this load...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9319 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby--never found the first hog---and it appeared that it went back thru the fence onto the neighboring property--if it is dead, the landowner will see the buzzard patrol and let me know.

Thought about going again tonight but forecast isn't favorable.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The thunder is rumbling here right now. Tomorrow should only be 56 degrees for a high and 59 on Friday. I sure like that better than the 90 we just had. But I know those triple-digit days are right around the corner.

**UPDATE on weather: Oh hail...these storms mean business...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9319 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is what our sidewalk looked like last night--and it went on for almost 15 minutes--

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Wow. We had hail, but they were small, and it ended quickly. There was no noticeable accumulation on the ground. Haven't been outside to check, but I'd guess we are close to the 4" range for rainfall totals.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Only got 1.2" rainfall but the hail melt added some--raining right now too.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Good to see you fine gentlemen on them again.
No rain here in the Rolling Plains, but a small chance of T-storms today and Sunday. Our low of 59 has been revised upward to 67 this morning. Fine with me and finer with the tomatoes, I am sure.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16317 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill--you mentioned tomatoes---mine didn't fare well with the hail. Not totaled but definitely set back.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you guys are getting some action. CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5087 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will be checking the camera at the local place tomorrow---winds are ideal for this place and not good for the other one--have been seeing a solo hog around but late. Another feeder on the place to the west that I hunt will get some scanning and stalking if needed.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Dustoffer, I have been meditating on a hail strategy for the tomatoes -- maybe hardware cloth "lids" over the tops of the tomato cages.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16317 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill--great idea--

one of us
posted Hide Post
Checked the local cam today and have had business between 8 and 11 last 5 nights tu2

And will be heading to the other place again Wednesday

one of us
posted Hide Post
Local boar---and also shot another that dragged away towards the horses and i couldn't administer the coup de gras and it made it thru the fence to the next door place I dont' have permission to hunt--

Dead right there from a .223 to the ear hole.
Estimated weight based on length and girth is 168 or so.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nice one. Are those some nice chppoers poking out there?

Posts: 5087 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
You make me hungry speaking of tomatoes. I got a great italian sub in Delaware last week and they actually used red ripe tomatoes. Hard to find in any store.
Get dem hogs.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Dustoffer, I have been meditating on a hail strategy for the tomatoes -- maybe hardware cloth "lids" over the tops of the tomato cages.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will be back at ‘em Thursday evening at my other place—report to follow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems summer has sprung on us.
83 yesterday, 90 today. I know that's
cool temp for you Texans.

Most days last week were less than 70 with
nights down to 28 on most.

Glad to see some hog action for you guys.
Best wishes for it to pickup and continue.
Enjoy seeing the pictures and reading about it all.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
dustoffer

That hog has a lump in the belly. Melanoma or misplaced testicle? See that?

CB

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are speaking of the one without the AR resting on him, I think that is his "male part". The first one with the AR is a sow and does have some bulging teats.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Yes. The male. Odd. congrats.