Find
Notify
Tools

Combine in the rye!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted

We have about 10 hectares of rye that we have been taking pigs off since the grains ripened. We as a group have probably shot some 10 to 12 pigs in the rye field this summer. Some as they came and went, others from a high seat on the corner of the field and one or two stalking through to where they were feeding.

Yesterday we got a call from the farmer - the combine would be there at 3 pm to cut and harvest. Some quick phone calls and at 2.30 pm six of us turned up, in blaze orange, to surround the field whilst the Claas Lexion 650 did its thing! I took a Blaser R8 in .270 topped with a Leupold VX-3i 1,5-5x20 and a "shooting stick", a great British invention and perfect to rest your behind on for 2 hours whilst the combine worked its magic, cutting rows up and down.

As each row was cut, the guns moved in closer until only two rows remained. Nothing had broken from the grain so far. Very strange as we had at times had 20 plus pigs in this field of rye. The shooter opposite me waved his arms and pointed into the rye where he had seen a big pig running. Suddenly it broke behind him, out of the cover of the rye and away towards the nearby woods. A large summer sow of about 40 kgs. The shooter opposite did not take a shot, explaining afterwards that he saw that it was a sow and thought that maybe piglets would follow from the cover. However, they did not and the sow lives to eat more crops and will hopefully give us another chance to take her later this season.

But it was not all in vain. One of the guns stayed on into the evening after the combine and tractors hauling the rye had left. And he managed a dog fox and a boar off of the stubbles!

I will be sitting on the stubbles tonight and tomorrow!

Here the 1.000 words! Hope you enjoy ...

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2260 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie:

A tall crop like that could hide a
whole lotta hogs. Amazing none came out.

That windmill sure has a lot of Tilt to it.

Thanks for sharing the great pictures.

Good hunting to you.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Another one off the stubbles last night!

Posts: 2260 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Not a hog but he came off the same stubbles and fell to the Mauser 66S....

Very large 'Keiler' in and out of the standing corn last night but he never stayed still for a moment! Sitting again tonight ....

One of Us
Picture of Hannay
posted Hide Post

Posts: 675 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 27 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Jeff hi. Scope is a Z3 3-10x42 Swaro. Full moon and stubbles ..... great picture!

Was out again tonight. 2 sows with 6 piglets so no shooters there yet. Piglets still a bit on the small side.

Cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Charlie:

Just read about that long fence.
How's it working? How far away are you from
it?

Apparently you're not getting much
shooting in lately. No posts.

Nice n warm up there in the north?
How's the wheat lice this year? HA!

What a mess they can be. When I first got
to Germany the white pillow was almost black
with 'em. First thing I did then was make
a big long swipe with my hand and turned it
to a bloody mess. The guys had a big laugh
about that one.

Cheers, go kill a pig!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that a Mauser 66 Diplomat?

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

George hi! Been crazy busy and "JaegerFrank" visited from Southern Germany the last 3 days. We managed a morning shooting crows for a local farmer and sat one night on the stubbles - roe deer, hares and saw two 20 kgs pgs but not quick enough! Landrover had an issue with some wiring burning in engine room and need to fix that before I am out again! A few days.....

Biebs, Yes Sir a Mauser 66 Diplomat in 8x68S. One of my current favorites! Shoots clovers at 100m and all original and not played with! Here the link to a post on the gun. And PS there are a few full stock Mauser 66s for sale on eGun at the moment in Germany, one in 7x64.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/6901069252/p/1

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Another 4 foxes of the stubbles this weekend and one of the group got a 25 kg boar last night. The stubbles have been super productive the last couple of weeks....

Aim is to take out some 40-50 foxes this season. 10 down so far. Should help the ground game (hares, pheasant etc) no end! We will see .....