Find
Notify
Tools

.30-30 just plain works
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Had a giant hog we have been watching show up on camera finally on the 18th (Monday). He has been gone from the area since December. We are guessing he is 350lb+

Decided to hunt Tuesday evening after work and see what showed up. Had a spotted tan boar come in...followed by 2 black boars. The drought has all the pigs spending their time in the lake on the property, or on the shoreline in the shade.

100y shot
170gr Federal Power Shock ammo

He ended up weighing 262lb. I haven't been able to recover a bullet from this load yet, even aiming for offside shoulders, spine, etc.

Exit would thru the off shoulder

Entrance wound, broke ribs going in

Exit

Love this rifle. 2011 year model Ruger 1-A. Accurate and very little recoil. Barrel fouls very little as well.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nice chunky hog. Way to hammer him.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5097 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Congrats on taking out that bruiser.

I love the ol' 30-30. And with today's modern ammunition, propellants and bullets, it's even more of a good thing -- especially from a single shot or bolt gun which don't restrict via COAL or bullet style.

I have a few of the Hornady 110 grain CX bullets ready for my 24" Van Horn Contender barrel. Hornady says they perform the same or better than the GMX which this line replaced -- and that 110 grain GMX Blackout bullet was a dandy in my usage.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9334 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
This is my "old" 110 grain GMX load. It still retains 1000 ft./lbs. of energy at 300 yards and will expand to at least .60" at that range.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9334 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Very nice Bobby! That looks like a great bullet for the .30-30. You have always worked with wildcats and cartridges trucking along at modest speed, and I love seeing your reviews of bullets and cartridges. I even searched for posts on the 7mm br (found one locally built on a Ruger #1), and some of your posts came up.

The giant hog hasn't been in all week...hopefully he comes back in soon

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yaaaaa !!!!! bobby is back!!!

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Very fine work on that hog, Bugle. It's not often we get to see a No. 1 in .30 WCF.
Bobby, your posts are always most welcome -- and inspirational. Thanks.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two 30-30s and a two 25-35 both have shot a lot of deer and two elk with the 30-30 and half a doze elk with the 25-35, all wincheters, a trapper from my family long past, a collector 30-30 24" and a 25-35 carbine from a dear friend. I love to hunt with them, it adds a bit of a challange, and have had to pass up some nice trophys that were out on the edge..and thats OK...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote