New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting in Kaua'i
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looks like I'm headed to Kaua'i for eight days in February. I've hunted quite a bit on the Big Island but not on any of the other islands. I've found a couple of outfitters who guide for boar and deer over there but I'm always interested in hearing about more.

Any hot tips?

Thanks,

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
OJ,
There is fishing available both in an Island lake and with fishing charters offshore.

The nearest hunting is on a nearby private island Niihau, just to the west.
I have not hunted there but have read reports of hunters taking wild hogs there. You will need an outfitter to get details and make arrangements for you. Also, you may want to research Niihau first, it is not a typical tourist stop.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I conducted the animal control hunts on Niihau for 22 years. Currently, only trophy hunting is available. Contact Niihau Helicopters if you wish to book your hunt, usually one day only.

You can hunt wild pig, feral sheep, aoudad, and Livingston eland hybrid. It's a little expensive due to the required helicopter charter for access, but an incredibly unique experience. Success rate is usually 100% due to the abundance of game. Rifle rental is available with prior arrangements. If you make the trip, please extend my best regards to all that you come in contact with from the helicopter office to the people on the island that I miss dearly.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 619 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I was lucky enough to make two trips with Geoff to Nihau ~15 years ago. Absolutely a unique experience. Not sure what it's like now. Only thing that was comparable was some cull shooting in Australia that I have done (that is how I got to know Geoff)

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote