New
Find
Notify
Tools

pig pole
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Where I parked to dump my debris there was a pole or what's left of it. The off side was roughed up from teeth. Sun was wrong so I could not get a good picture. They even managed to break the ground wire. What is it, 6 or 4 copper?

Posts: 701 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have read they rub against the pole to get the creosote on their hide/hair as a flea/tick/louse repellent. I have also read that you can take used motor oil and coat a post or tree with the same effect.

But, as many trees as I see coated with mud, I think it is more likely they are just scratching--

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tried the burnt motor oil thing to no effect. They do love creosote on the line poles. The fresher the better. Back when you could dump oil well salt water on the ground they would wallow in it then rub a tree or post like crazy. I do think it is lice caused!

Posts: 701 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen poles on remote properties almost rubbed in half, especially if the soil has a lot of coarse sand in it. The local elec coop people have a lot of problems with pig damage on poles.

Posts: 70 | Location: College Station TX | Registered: 06 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
When I was selling farm & ranch real estate....I had a listing in Madison County, TX with a power pole that was literally 50-60% of its original diameter from being rubbed by pigs for years.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote