THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM HOG HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hogs, Warthogs, Wild Boars, Javelinas Hunting    6.5x.225 IMP is officially bloodied -- with bullet photo as well

Moderators: Whitworth
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x.225 IMP is officially bloodied -- with bullet photo as well
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted

Well, it’s been a while since we saw any hogs here and seemingly longer since I pulled the trigger on a live target. But that all changed tonight.

It was a first of sort on three levels. I got to officially bloody the 22” 6.5x.225 IMP Van Horn Special that I recently acquired, I took my initial head of game with the Speer 120 grain Gold Dot Bonded, and – finally – I took the first animal using a new system of lights on the feeder.

I actually picked up the hog in the Leupold thermal monocular as he repeatedly circled the feeder to try and see if there was any sign of danger. He was skittish, but there wasn’t quite enough moonlight to take him just yet. My hopes were that he’d calm down and work his way into the feeder so I could try out that lighting system.

My patience was rewarded 4-5 minutes later. The hog remained on high alert, but I could see just enough of his form in the shadows to know he was there. He slowly inched forward, and when there was enough detail in my Noblex N4 Vario 2.5-10x50 to verify how his body was positioned, I put the dot just inside of his shoulder and sent the 120 grain Speer downrange.

I heard the unmistakable sound of bullet breaking bone, and – to my delight – the boar was on his side and unmoving – not even as much as a spasmodic kick that I could discern.

In my current loading with Hodgdon CFE223, that Speer bullet is moving out at 2615 fps MV. It took the 142 yard target just where I had hoped, penetrating the left-frontal portion of the chest, separating the heart from its plumbing, heavily damaging the lungs, nicking the liver and then skidding along and breaking three ribs on the right side before coming to rest. The path of destruction was wide, and the chest was filled with blood.

Impressively, the recovered bullet weighs 112.5 grains, although there was still a bit of blood and tissue on it (as you can see in the photo). At its widest juncture, it measured right at 0.6”. As I have been with the 150 grain Blackout version of this same bullet in .30 caliber, I am truly impressed.

The hog did not have much body length but was rolling fat. He weighed 201 pounds.

As to the feeder lights, I want to thank georgeld for sending me such a great gift. Many thanks!!! We used an old basketball goal with the backboard removed to make a portable setup for the light and solar panels.

Lastly, I have to thank our son Andy, who not only took care of retrieval and ensuing manual labor but took these terrific photos as well.

Feeder light setup is shown below. The feeder itself is 138 yards from my shooting rest. The hog was on the back fringe of the light at 142 yards. In real life, it's not as bright as the photo; I showed it that way so the pole, etc. could be seen.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9319 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful!
Fine pictures too.
Can't thank me too much for the light.
You can thank KenBro from England for
donating a .25/45 Sharps reamer I sold to
another guy. I don't believe in keeping
what a donation brings, such things need
to be shared imo. This is a pass
along gift from Ken.

Bobby thank you for sharing the pictures
with me. I've been anxious for you to
kill a hog with that light system.

Then to learn it's first blood with a new
rifle too. That's icing!!

Nice sized boar too, good shooting.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5934 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby, looks like your new toy is a keeper. Interesting cartridge for sure!

I’m glad to see that the gold dots work so well too! I just bought 200 gold dots to try in my Grendel AR. Now if the hogs at our place will just cooperate.

Z

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I got this barrel a few weeks ago for a great price on another classified site. I've been a fan of moderate-speed 6.5s for a long time and had great luck with them over the years, so I couldn't resist.

This is an older barrel but one that was barely used and in fantastic shape. Plus, it included dies. I'd like to find a little more new .225 brass some day, though what I have now is really more than sufficient.

The bullet continues to impress me. I had put some through test medium at various velocities, and the expansion is rapid but controlled via the bonding process. Even with no CNS impact, this hog folded on the spot. Double-shoulder impacts often do that, but not even one shoulder was impacted on this one.

The same bullet in .30 caliber/150 grains for the Blackout has been a real winner for me as well and is responsible for several hogs, numerous coyotes and 2 deer. In each case, performance has been exceptional. I am shooting those at 2469 fps from a 24" 30-30.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9319 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:

Bobby thank you for sharing the pictures
with me. I've been anxious for you to
kill a hog with that light system.

George

No problem. I wanted to send the picture to you before posting. I was just hoping your phone beeping didn't wake you up last night because I knew you had to be up very early today. You're in our thoughts and prayers for a successful surgery and a quick and painless rehab.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's impressive performance Bobby. I have one of Van Horn's 25-225 Imp. barrels for my Contender. Te 225 is a neat case for wildcats.

Posts: 206 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad the light is up and doing its job----hope the light pole setup is well-anchored as the winds we had Friday night here might have caused it to tumble.

Does your light have a brightness setting? The one I am using can be adjusted.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I forget which is which, but George sent me one and Bev got me one also, but one of them does indeed have variable settings and even a remote. I consider myself technologically-challenged, though, and left it all as-is. Smiler

I do know that one of the settings allows it to run at reduced power until the sensor picks up movement. I am sure that would save power, but so far, the feeder has had illumination all night long.

Yes, we were worried about that wind as well. It was indeed wicked -- and for several hours. The center of the foundation is pegged with a 24" trapping stake, and the pole is also anchored to a shortened t-post, so it can withstand some pretty good gusts. I originally just had it weighted with cinder blocks but figured the stake and t-post were needed -- not only for wind but in case a larger hog decided to rub against it.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Another fine bruiser.
Git dem hogs.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5084 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Bobby, I am impressed, too. That's outstanding terminal performance and a perfectly placed shot. You are giving me the Contender itch again. I have never tried one in rifle configuration.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16287 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice pig! Mine never show up that clean!

Posts: 691 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Live Oak:
Nice pig! Mine never show up that clean!

It's rare for me, too. Far too often, they look like the one below:

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nimrod308:
That's impressive performance Bobby. I have one of Van Horn's 25-225 Imp. barrels for my Contender. Te 225 is a neat case for wildcats.

I also have a 25-225 Van Horn. I have been using 75 grain Hornadys for coyotes and jack rabbits. I hoarded brass when it was still available.
Disclaimer--I work for Van Horn. Watching the lathe cut I think to much and have too many projects.

M

Posts: 1223 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Excellent work Bobby! I had never heard of this cartridge before. 6.5 calibers are all the rage now. Perhaps you can spark a few more 6.5x225 IMP's to fly off the shelf Cool

Any photos of what the loaded cartridge looks like?

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
Excellent work Bobby! I had never heard of this cartridge before. 6.5 calibers are all the rage now. Perhaps you can spark a few more 6.5x225 IMP's to fly off the shelf Cool

Any photos of what the loaded cartridge looks like?

Van Horn has been chambering this one for a LONG time -- decades actually -- but another version from SSK Industries always got the lion's share of attention for some reason. That one is called the 6.5 JDJ.

Here are 2 photos.

The basic data in my current load is the same as noted on the photo, but the velocity has changed after I fiddled with seating depth. The MV of the last 3 shots I chronographed read 2613, 2617 and 2615, so the load actually picked up a little speed. And, the last session was under better (more consistent) lighting conditions, which may have had a slight affect as well. The deviation of velocity readings in the earlier session was a good bit higher, too (47 fps, if memory serves).

The other photo shows .225 brass necked up and loaded with IMR-4320 and the 120 grain Nosler BT for my fireforming load, which clocks nearly 2500 fps and gives me superb accuracy. It's more than enough for a solid hunting load.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby--the reinforcements/anchors aren't visible to me in the picture, but I have no doubts they will be fine absent any cows--

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The big center square that balances the basketball goal has a spot in the center that allows me to stake it solidly. You can't see it because it's a 24" T re-rod 1/2" trapping stake and is within the confines of the black plastic base. Also, it's about half-full of water right now, making it rather heavy in its own right. It starts out with good balance/support anyway because it is intended to withstand someone dunking on the goal and not toppling. As to cattle, unless they break out, there are going to be none in that part of the pasture. I'd have to fence it off completely if there were. A friend of mine just had his cattle break through a fence that he had surrounding a corn and protein feeder. They pretty much destroyed everything.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ