Find
Notify
Tools

FL Hog Hunt Booked for November!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted
Because of the F$%&ing COVID thing, I had to cancel my 2-week Namibia PG safari this year. I'm absolutely handling that like an adult, I can assure you. Big Grin

Another opportunity came up in the beginning of November from a family member who lives in FL to go on a hog hunt. Having some extra vacation on my hands, I jumped at the chance to travel somewhere and shoot something. The class is in FL and features a one day rifle class followed by a one day hog hunt. The price was right and they feed and house you for the night. Not a bad deal. They've recommended I bring 100 rounds of ammunition, nearly all of which is for the training range day. I'm not sure what that entails, as I know how to shoot animals, but I'm in for the fun nonetheless.

The quantity of shooting has me pondering the weapon to take. I was originally considering my 444 Marlin, but I can't fire that much ammo in 2 days and still use my arms. Likewise with a 270 or similar. I had a thought to take my Model 94 loaded with a great 170 grain partition load. That doesn't kick much, and should provide ample oomph for hogs at sane hog ranges. Anyone have any thoughts on my choice? I have a few months to iron this out. Hogs with a lever just seems to go together nicely.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have killed more hogs with my .22-250 than any other caliber (except for .22 LR when in a trap). I have shot them with 7 Mag, .25-06,.223, 12-ga, 20 ga, and bow and arrow. One think I know from experience, it isn't what you shoot 'em with as much as where you shoot 'em.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. It occurs to me I have a bolt action 223 that would also be up to the task. I tend to lean that caliber is a tad too light for hogs, but I like to go heavy. Were I to take that, what bullet have you found acceptable? Partition and TSX come to mind immediately. A little load workup is necessary in either case, but that's not an issue.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take the .223 for the class and the .444 for the hunt. The .223 will work just fine if you hit em right.

Posts: 696 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nearly every hog I have shot with either of the .22 centerfires have been CNS brain shots---draw a line between eye and ear hole, hit mid way on the line and they are DRT.

Bullets I shoot in both are Nosler ballistic tips---factory load for the .223 and handload for the .22-250 that shoot to an acceptable level of accuracy in both guns.

One of the young ladies that has hunted with me a time or two uses the same rifles and shoots them in the heart---and the pigs are either DRT or within 10-15 yards.

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Huh. I would not have thought of 22 caliber Ballistic Tips as being hog medicine given their light construction. I already have a BT and a regular SP 55gr load for the rifle, each shoots right around 1/2". I'm wondering if the SP would be a tad better in this case.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Either will do the job---spire point is a bit tougher though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a lot of hogs in my life. Shot 7 since 4:30 PM yesterday. My guess is that I have shot something close to 2,000. I have shot them with everything from a .17 HMR to a 500 NE.

While I have certainly killed plenty with a 223, it isn’t even close to an optimum caliber if you are encountering any large hogs. More than once I have had the shield totally stop a 223 bullet.

Just this morning , I shot a large boar. Around 250. I shot him with a 300 Win Mag with 200 grain Accubonds. The bullet did not exit and this hog didn’t have much of a shield .

I would use that 270 and forget the 223.

Posts: 11943 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Are you going to be shooting from a blind? A heavy gun will be good for less recoil for heavier loads/calibers. Will you be shooting from a moving air boat? Lighter weight/quick pointing 1/4 bores up to 6.5 Creedmoor are heavily used on 'copter hunts with lots of action.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5095 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, guys. Larry, I'm leaning more towards my 270, too. I have an excellent 130 Partition or 110 TTSX load for it that would hammer them.

Custombolt, I'm going to be shooting from a blind. Weight isn't normally a concern for me in hunting rifles, but point well-taken.

I am clearly dealing with some first world problems!

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
A miniscule problem for sure. Drop a few for me. No sleeping in class. Hah!

Posts: 5095 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clayman:

Where are you going down there?

I've only killed two wild hogs, both in Fla.
With. 243 100gr, at about 30 feet from a blind. Only problem I had was the scope. K-6. Wouldn't
focus closer than about 50 yards. This was dark
timber, dark shadow, black hogs.

I had a hell of a time finding where to shoot 'em. Both nose to the ground face on staring at
each other. Finally found an ear, then figured
out where to brain 'em.

Verify such focusing with your scope before you
go.

Since then I've replaced 6 scopes with the cheap
Simmons 6.5-20x that focus down to 30 feet. Just'a bit over $100 each. So far they seem to be good.

Nothing beats a brain shot for dropping them where they stand.
Best of luck and please share your experience
with us here.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5942 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

+1 Larrys post.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2256 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I'm going here: http://floridafirearmstraining...ing_School_-_FFT.php

Day of goofing around on the range, overnight accommodations, and a day of hunting hogs. I asked, and so long as everyone gets at least one hog, you can tack on an extra one for $150. Sounds about right. I'm going to ask them about the round count for the ammo. If I don't need so much (can't imagine why I would), I'm taking the 444 Marlin! Scout scope + 300 grainers sounds about right!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clayman:

Not a bad idea.

Unless one has shot a pile of hogs, it is hard to imagine what can happen.

I have seen on numerous occasions, a perfectly mushroomed 223 bullet totally stopped by the shield on a big boar.

I once shot one of the largest bar hogs I have ever seen with a 300 Win mag with 210 grain Berger VLDs. I hit the hog perfectly, I could see the shoulder flopping. We had videoed it. When we went to look, there was not a drop of blood anywhere. Our conclusion was that the bullet broke up and never penetrated the body cavity.

From Wednesday afternoon to Saturday afternoon last week, I shot 16 hogs. All with a 300 Win Mag with custom loaded 200 grain Accubonds. Those 16 included 3 absolutely gargantuan boars. The bullet did not exit on any of those 3 boars. Not a one ran even a single step.

The problem with small calibers or lightly jacketed bullets is that one never knows what they might encounter. It might be a 60 pound meat hogs or a massive old boar.

Having said that, I have probably killed more with a 22 magnum than anything else. I always brain shot with FMJ bullets. Works wonders. I also got very close.

Good luck!

Posts: 11943 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Agreed, Larry. I'm thinking back to the only other hog I've shot in my life, a quartering away warthog in Namibia. I had my 340 Wby Mag shooting 225gr TBBC's. It only took one shot at just a shade over 200 yards, but the bullet did not exit. Found it under the off-side hide. The 340 packs some serious oomph and still didn't go the whole way through! Tough little SOB's they are!

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Clayman. I noticed that these guys include one meat hog with their hog hunt. Any idea what the trophy fees are? Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Clayman. I noticed that these guys include one meat hog with their hog hunt. Any idea what the trophy fees are? Thanks.

Fair question; I don't know the answer. I asked about "additional" hogs, and got the $150 answer above. I'm really just interested in whacking at least one for the freezer and to help eradicate these little buggers.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Clayman, I did see the extra fee. Thanks for the reply.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's the initial charges?

Back in July '11 I shot two on a put and take
operation a family had N of Cedar Key, Fl.
Believe it was $100 per hog any size. He did
taxidermy too so hired him to mount both.
I wanted the hides tanned at a tannery and told
him I'd pay the costs. Still did their own
back yard tanning. OF course the eye's and
mouth skins have cracked quite a bit.

I wanted the skulls, and was real careful on
my shot placements so it wouldn't ruin the
skulls. Between the eyes and exit out the throat.
No bones were hurt. I was told he'd be
happy to boil the heads at no further charge.
Lied about that. Claimed later "head shot ruined
them". We examined both to make sure they were
still solid.
I wouldn't recommend the place over those things.
Price was fine, place was ok too. No
restrictions on what gun could be used.

Local boys I hunt elk with kill and butcher pigs
nearly every day. They use only .22 solids. Jim
says HP's won't penetrate. They put the muzzle
right against their heads while feeding a bit of
cracked corn on the shop floor.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5942 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
George.

quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
What's the initial charges? George

Charges

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck.
Hope the training is good.

Kinda pricey imo. but, that don't
count for much.

I do wish you the best with it all.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
The price seemed reasonable for everything. Don't know if I could sit in the classroom for like 3 hours though.
Have fun with it IF you get in. Classes are filling up quick..