New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good Last 24 Hours
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Started with the landowner killing the big boar in the trap, and then last night I went for a sit with the thermal where a group of pregnant sows have been regulars. I got in my usual spot with the usual winds and checked that the new light I installed was working once it got dark--and it was. Turned around to scan the pasture behind me and the place to the east and spotted a "convoy" of hogs in line headed south -- 21 or more -- but on the other side of the fence. Mad That place is off-limits.

About 9:45 I looked toward the feeder and it looked "different"---couldn't see the lighted space beneath--turned the thermal on, put the rifle on the shooting sticks and there they were--the fat sows. Took about 15-20 seconds for one to stick its head out of the mob and I squeezed it off. Too brushy for any running shots on the others. Pretty good sized sow--I'm estimating 160-170, and she had at least 3 piglets in the oven.

This morning I went to the other trap and had 3 shoats, so that makes 5 for the 24 hours.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Keep up the good work!

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great start.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Nice work! Tell us about the rifle/optic? Which brand of thermal? Sounds like fun!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rifle is a Ruger Optics Ready AR in .223. Scope is a Pulsar Apex XQ50. I got it back in January and my first trip to the field on a cold night I could see skunks out about 250 yds and tell they were skunks. Pigs and cattle--600-800 easy.

It is taking some getting used to--for example, you can have the target/heat source in either black or white in the display and I had it on black for this trip. When 4-5 big ones show up at once under the feeder you can't tell a head from a tail, so I had to wait until one head was not embedded in the mass of pork. Next trip it will be heat= white to see if I can see ears and noses in the mass.

Scope is a 2.8-11.2X as I recall, but since I am shooting from a seat about 75 yds from the feeder, I keep it on 2.8X

one of us
posted Hide Post
Same stand, same armament--same result. Another large prego sow with 3 in the oven. #99 for the year.

This is a game cam picture which shows the sow in mid-fall(right of pic)--mighty timely.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
and the dust the rest are making getting
the hell outta there.

good shot.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote