New
Find
Notify
Tools

Here's Hoping---
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The big sounder finally "found" the trap this week--5 out of the last 7 nights and the last 3, so tomorrow night I will set the trap while I go to my other spot and sit with the bow.

Sat there the other night after camera showed steady traffic---the east "across the fence" sounder was out and feeding in broad daylight as I walked to the stand, but nothing doing at the feeder other than oak mites which bit the crap out of my legs and back. They are worse than redbugs/chiggers for me. Sprayed my clothes with permethrin so I'm willing to try another sit tomorrow night while the trap is doing its thing. If the permethrin does't do the trick, it will be back to the rifle w/thermal. We'll see what comes of it. Got three orders for pigs so maybe I can deliver on at least one.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't trap but somebody in the neighborhood of my place is getting really efficient! Very few pictures on the camera. Finally two sows with a bunch of pigs started showing up regularly. I got excited but could not get out there. Sat one night but nothing. Checked the camera. No sows just 5 small pigs. Then 3, then nothing! Sounder at the wife's place is smart. They circle down wind of the blind! They have started working my friend's place. The wind has been wrong when I can sit. Maybe tomorrow night. Good luck!

Posts: 692 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks---In all my hog hunting years, I've only had one instance that I know of where a hog circled me--and that was about a month ago. Watched a boar come in from cross-wind to about 15 yds away, but with a bow and him in the dark, no shoot. I could see him fine with the thermal scanner though. He turned right and circled the feeder pen at about 25 yds out from my 3 to my 9 where I lost sight of him. Sat another hour and nothing. Oh well, it is hunting and not just shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Trap is set, ground is painted gold, and tomorrow morning will tell the tale (or not).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
So am I. Had not heard of oak mites. No bueno.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well,the hogs had been in the trap, cleaned up all the corn, but didn't trip the door. I think need to replace the pull rope as it is tight when I leave, but then overnight is sags and isn't the "hair trigger" I want. I am not setting it tonight as I have stuff to do tomorrow which precludes taking care of a bunch of dead ones, but will re-set tomorrow night for a Saturday morning catch hopefully.

I am going back to the other place where the oak mite plague got me, but I haven't decided whether to take the bow and risk another bunch of bites or take the thermal for the sit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sitting and waiting—and, the “Across The Fence” gang is up and at ‘em already—at least 20 of them. Opted to not bring the bow—do not want another round of the oak mites.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Decisions decisions!

Always things to ponder when having fun.

Aim well and hit 'em right Dusty.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope--not tonight, but they have been there every night though they have changed their time to midnight thru about 6 AM. Couple visiting the trap as well, but the granddaughter will be here next week so that puts a damper on my hog pursuits.

Setting the other trap tomorrow night for one opportunity at the sounder . Trap is set with more tension on the rope, and camera showed 12 in the trap last night. Gonna do 'em in the morning!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well--drove up and saw lots of activity in the trap--and saw one on the outside that was very reluctant to leave his brothers and sisters in the trap. It finally moved off about 25 yds and stopped in the weeds offering a shot--and I popped it but not fatally. Ran about 10 yds and stopped broadside---bang, done. Got after the ones in the trap and had one down when I noticed one hanging half in, half out. Moved to shoot it and it took off and didn't offer a shot as the weeds are too tall. Memo: get that trap gap patched before the next time.

Finished the ones in the trap, collected the carcasses, "de-tailed" them, and put the trap in time out due to granddaughter visit next week. But, that gives time for the blood smell to dissipate and for them to get back to freeloading my corn.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
is that five or six?

Good deal, glad you connected
finally.

what do you pop 'em with at these
times?

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
us

George—that’s an even half-dozen. And for the circular traps I use my first rifle, a Remington Nylon 66.

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Maybe we need traps in Germany clap

Well done Sir !

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2255 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dusty:

It's been more than 60 years since
I've seen one of those plastic stocks.
Heard they were fine guns. Glad you
still have it and it's going well yet.

Seems like they sold new for about $60.
Right? I still have the Stevens 86C my
folks bought me in '58 at 14. Sure put
a lotta ammo thru it, Uncle used to buy
a carton every Sat and take me out to
burn 'em all up. Did that for several
years. I got pretty hot stuff with irons
on that thing. Hope you've gotten a lot
of use out of your 66 too.
How about putting it in the dead hog pics
too?
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
posted Hide Post
George--will include it next time-which should be next week. My dad worked for an Allis-Chalmers tractor dealer (anyone remember them?) and they also sold Remington chain saws. Buy a saw, get a rifle was the deal. Dad got one somehow (we never owned a chainsaw)
and it ended up under the Christmas tree when I was 16. I shot on the rimfire rifle team in college and the coach had a rule--no partial boxes of ammo went back to the arms room so shoot it or take it home. Needless to say I had lots of ammo that got run thru the '66. They have a bad rep about scopes not holding zero due to flex of the receiver cover but I never noticed that. Mine wears a peep sight as the open sights are more than my old eyes can do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dustoffer:
George--will include it next time-which should be next week. My dad worked for an Allis-Chalmers tractor dealer (anyone remember them?) and they also sold Remington chain saws. Buy a saw, get a rifle was the deal. Dad got one somehow (we never owned a chainsaw)
and it ended up under the Christmas tree when I was 16. I shot on the rimfire rifle team in college and the coach had a rule--no partial boxes of ammo went back to the arms room so shoot it or take it home. Needless to say I had lots of ammo that got run thru the '66 (remember the old wooden cigar boxes? They hold lots and lots of loose LR rounds). They have a bad rep about scopes not holding zero due to flex of the receiver cover but I never noticed that. Mine wears a peep sight as the open sights are more than my old eyes can do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Allis: Yep, ran farm tractors
and even several HD-16's.

We had three of 'em in the Army.
Not too long before we got three
brand new yeller cat D-7's.

Made me want to cry when they gave
orders to paint 'em OD. I never did
paint the dash. Fought 'em to paint the
deck area on mine.

"I'm not that good a painter to paint
the dash, I'd have it all over the gauges."
Bluffed 'em on that, was still yeller when
I left for home.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
posted Hide Post
george--the memories we have -- and I have a few war stories as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HA, maybe we shouldn't get f2f!

Could never shut us up!

Take care, kill a few pigs,

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight