New
Find
Notify
Tools

Danger in the long grass!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Sat at my friend's place last night. He sprayed weeds, fertilized and with rain the Love grass and Johnson grass have really taken off! Used my sling blade to cut some down but the sling blade does not cut the Love grass short! It's just too tough. Feeder went off as planned this time at 9. Few minutes later a dark form showed in front of the pen. Pig! Took him a few minutes to clear the middle post and feeder legs. Put the reticle on his shoulder and touched one off. The shot looked good but after the fire cleared all I remember is him loading up to run! He might have moved and I hit him a little back. Phone said 9:20, figured I would wait till 10 then go look. I do not relish tramping around waist to head high grass looking for a pig! I respect and tolerate most things but spider webs to face drive me crazy! 10 rolled around so I rode the ATV to the feeder. To my surprise right where I touched off the 416 Ruger lay my boar! Not sure what I remember but even with sling blading the grass was high enough that it hid a 132.2 pound pig in the feeder pen! Hope they continue to show! What you see is the exit.

anonymous pic hosting

Posts: 696 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to see you Texas hunters dropping them down there. Sure wish I was there.
May have to post another wanted to hunt for hogs thread. Had the itch for several months now and would rather not do the commercial thing if I don't have to.
Getting lazy, ready for a nice road trip to try out a recent SUV purchase.
Be safe, and as usual GET DEM HOGS!
CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5097 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good one LiveOak---my last few sits, whether with bow (2) or rifle (2) have been fruitless. At least I caught a half-dozen in the trap one set and 2 another. Planning on another sit later in the week weather permitting. Sure happy to not have to sling-blade the weeds---I took my rider mower to one spot and mowed the shooting lane--no longer cows on the place so I am in charge of grass/weed control as well as hog and squirrel control. Tough jobs, but someone has to do it and I'm glad it is me.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Another nice chunk of pork. only a few million to go. I wish I had say over some substantial acreage. But as it is I will live vicariously through you guys. My big game hunts are mostly stalking squirrels. Big enough with a Marlin 39A! Be Well, Packy.