Notify
Tools

Snake boots?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Charles, I hope your luck holds, too, and Merry Christmas.
I have had some luck as well. I was struck by a rattler while flyfishing a creek at Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico, August of 1968. Our group, assembled from troops in the Mount Rainier Council (Seattle-Tacoma), was working on a 50-miler.

I, too, was at Philmont in August, 1968 with Circle Ten Council trek.We also did the 50 miler, but I didn't get struck by a rattlesnake!

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Karl, that's remarkable. I still have my Philmont belt, but something has gone wrong with it and it no long fits. Wink
Toward the end of our hike, I came down with a serious bug and by the time I had been accompanied down to the ranch HQ dispensary, I had a 103-degree fever. They shot my rear end full of penicillin, stuck me in a warm bed with nice clean blankets and started pumping me full of OJ and warm chow. The rest of our group did a total of 57 miles, IIRC; I did make the minimum of 50. When we got home, I found out that I had completely missed the Democratic Convention riots in Chicago -- and the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia.
Interesting times!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, I think we must’ve been there during the same time frame, our trek did 53 miles, I’ll try and find group photo taken after completion of our trek, my favorite camp was Mt Phillips. I wore out a pair of hiking boots and left them hanging over the entrance gate of Philmont.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill my friend the saddle maker or myself could possibly extend your Philmont belt to where it would fit again.

Wish I could remember his name but there was a guy stationed here at Goodfellow Air Force Base in the 80's that was from Sweetwater. He was a member of the Chamber of Commerce and he and his brothers handled rattlesnakes at the roundup. Be my guess he retired from the Air Force and moved back to Sweetwater.

Posts: 3796 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Karl, I'll see if I still have my photo, just for grins. The only camp name I am sure of was our first stop: Abreu.
Carpetman, thanks for the thought, but I like to keep that belt as-is as a reminder of my former skinny self.
hilbily

– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill. I can relate with that! When covid hit, my business came to a screeching halt, + I was used to being on my feet all day in the shop, so I kept in shape. But with no work coming in, I got to sitting around + you know what that will do.

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About 12 years ago, my wife and I bought a place in Southeast Missouri in a strip pit area. Little did we know that we were the new proud owners of what the town called "snake lake". A couple years later I bought, on a whim, Guide Gear side zip snake boots. Surprisingly, they are VERY comfortable. That spring the back end of the property flooded some. I put the boots on to take a look. The biggest, fattest water moccasin took exception to my being there. Before I could get the WTF look off my face, he hit me twice. Both times about 10-12 inches up on the boot. Thank God they are 17"high. I managed to get the Taurus Judge out and kill it, but it still left a stain in my shorts!

Another trip, I went hunting Antelope with JeremyTx in the panhandle by Dalhart. We were going out the first evening and he suddenly stopped the truck, jumped out, grabbed a shovel from the back and casually went about killing the 3' rattler heading for the drain. When he got back in, I asked him if that was dinner. He looked at me and laughed and said, "I forgot that your wife is from Abilene." No dinner but it was fun.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Made me laugh this morning Larry. Thanks. The Sweetwater Rattlesnake Roundup is less than three weeks away! Cool

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I've had to buy a new Philmont belt myself. rotflmo While I was at it, I bought a couple of new buckles as well. Bill: You can keep your old Philmont belt as a memento and still get online and buy a new belt from the Philmont trading post! I've bought a lot of stuff from the Philmont Trading Post Online over the years. I did a 60 miler in the 90's as an adult trek leader from the Las Vegas Area Council (fka the Boulder Dam Area Council). Since I'm a fanatic fly fisher, I loved fly fishing at Wade Phillips' fly fishing lodge and we caught a ton of trout. Never saw a rattler though. Big Grin Silver on the Sage, Starlit skies above, Aspen Covered Hills, Country That I Love, Philmont Here's To Thee, Scouting's Paradise, Out In God's Country Tonight. . . . . . . Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Nick Adams
posted Hide Post
So what do our resident pros recommend as the best snake boots while hunting hogs?

I’ve got a trip planned to Fla. and don’t want to rely on the cheapo Chi-Com boots on sale at WallyMart. Thanks!

Posts: 376 | Location: Midwest, USA | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got Gokey Snake boots fromm Orvis. Zipper up the back is a nice feature.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
UEG: Thanks for the tip on Tooth of Time Traders.
Nick: be sure to read the reviews closely if you are looking for a waterproof snake boot for your Florida hunt. I sure see a lot of complaints about leaking, even among what I would consider good brands.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Adams:
So what do our resident pros recommend as the best snake boots while hunting hogs?

I’ve got a trip planned to Fla. and don’t want to rely on the cheapo Chi-Com boots on sale at WallyMart. Thanks!

I live in FL and do a lot of hog hunting. I wear rubber boots. That is all. Just keep your eyes open.

Posts: 11907 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote