New
Find
Notify
Tools

West Virginia hogs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If wild hogs are such a problem why is WV limiting the people that can hunt them.

https://www.foxnews.com/great-...boar-hunting-lottery

It’s going to be an exciting year for some wild boar hunters. The West Virginia Division of Natural Resources announced a change to its wild boar hunting program. While certain hunters have been able to hunt the animal in the state during previous seasons, a new system will be implemented in the upcoming one.

Posts: 19362 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Well, I'll be darned.
I am truly surprised that WVA F&G would accept monetary gain out of wild hogs. What's next? Ground hog safari hunts? What they should do is organize a mow down showdown on this/these properties like PA does when the doe pop gets out of hand in certain private areas.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5100 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Missouri has barred private hunters from shooting hogs in order that they may trap and catch entire sounders. They are serious about not allowing them to become as numerous and problematic as in Tx.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought Missouri back off on not allowing hunting.

Posts: 19362 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
WV is not Texas; there are very few Russian wild boars in WV. They are not "varmints" eating up all the crops (no crops on 100% grade forested mountain slopes) like they are down south. This hunt is in Logan county, on private land, owned by coal and timber companies. I remember that in the 70s, the DNR introduced some Russians in Wyoming county; they all died. Very little for them to eat in the rugged steep hills.
I see this as just a way to make money for the state; now that the coal industry has been killed, they need it. Making the wild boar a "game" animal is one way to do that.

Posts: 17106 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
I thought Missouri back off on not allowing hunting.

They don’t allow feral hog hunting on public lands but cannot forbid it on private lands, but they encourage the landowners to trap entire Sounders. Regardless of the type of trap, even the ones with remote-controls, there is no guarantee.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some states believe that people wanting to hunt feral pigs will spread them around. No hunting no spreading like they did in Texas. Years ago I met some people who were importing feral pigs to a different state, picked them up in Texas. They were even trapping and moving them around in their state to spread them faster! Something to hunt with dogs!

Posts: 700 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
As usual P dog you are mis-informed. But Be Well, Packy.