New
Find
Notify
Tools

SUCCESS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If you've been following my July Pig Posts you'll see it's been a bit of a struggle as of late. Missed opportunities, break downs, poor shooting, and dog mishaps. Sometimes though, it all comes together!

Walked the dogs out this morning to our stomping grounds across the hwy. It was cool, and a bit breezy. The dogs were excited and I felt like walking. I carried my Beretta/Jap 6.5 rifle, a canteen, and a Yugo bayonet. I figured I was ready for the long haul.

Got to a point in the pasture where I had to make a decision, East or West. I wanted to go East, where I had seen some sign a few days ago. The dogs wanted to go West, the wind was coming from the West, so I decided we'd go West. No time at all Babette, my Catahoula began to range rather far out. I saw her move into a slew that had produced some pigs this year, but she came out in a tear, and moved across the pasture towards a creek. Something was going on! Moments later I heard her barking. She doesn't bark unless she's at hand shaking distance to a pig. The other two, Blanca and Blanche ran to the barking and I lost them in the high grass.

As I got closer I heard pigs squealing and grunting, I took the safety off the rifle and got ready, but moving quickly (for me) towards the sound of the fury. Suddenly Two hogs burst out of the tall stuff at an angle towards me, I picked out the first and let a 6.5 slug fly. The pig was hit, but still moving. I picked out the other as a whole passel of little onkers went by and put one in this one's shoulder and she went down. Fired 3 more shots at the first and seen it fall. Quickly I reached into my pocket for a clip of 6.5s and reloaded the rifle. I listen and could tell that the dogs had one bayed what sounded like across the creek. I was hoping I was wrong, but I wasn't. There was wailing and nashing of teeth going on, on the other side, so I felt an urgency to get across. After a brief search I found a downed tree that would do the trick, but in the middle the trunk dipped out of sight into the water. Oh well the dogs urged me on, so I slung the rifle across my back and went across the tree on my butt. Got across and had to take a second or two to get my wind, then up the bank I went. Had to push myself through a cane thicket, but now I could see the bushes moving 25 yds ahead. Got to the bay and drew my bayonet. Stuck the 80 lbs hog or so in the boiler room and she quickly expired.

I was unable to take any pictures as the camera on my phone was unable to take the excitement and died. Got back across and called a friend to help me get the pigs out. We left the one on the far side of the creek where she lay, The banks of the creek were too high to get her out.

All in all a good hunt. Proud as hell of the dogs. Picture coming as my fried took one at the skinning rack.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The older I get the more I think one a day is enough! Good job Larry

Posts: 157 | Location: Pearsall, Tex. | Registered: 25 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Great days hunt, Congratulations.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have a way of bringing the reader right into the action. Great job! I'm not much on walking logs either. GW

The possibilities for disaster boggle the mind.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nice shootin'. Good story too.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5097 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awe shucks guys, thanks for the kind reviews. And the wine after the skinning was fabulous.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Des Allemands, La. | Registered: 17 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post
Good on you Larry. And the dogs too. Sounds like a great days hunting ! Pics of the dogs would be interesting if you have some ! Congrats !

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2258 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Charlie, here's a pic, not the best. Dogs in from a cold winter night.

In the fore front left to right, Blanca (dogo), & Blanche (mix), in the rear, Babette (Catahoula).

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Well done Larry...nice read,thanks for sharing

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10054 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't I tell you to just keep after it and things would change? See, it worked huh?
Good deal and thanks for the story and pics.
Good looking dogs there and in action too.
Bet Juan will love it!
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Again thanks to all, especially you Dwight for your encouragement during my pig trials. It was a light affliction in any case. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Great story, Larry -- and congrats! tu2 tu2

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9334 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Very nicely done, Larry! I always enjoy your threads! beer

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bobby and Marco, atta-boys from y'all mean a lot!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done sir congratulations ,i work for Juan ,im an ex infantry officer and since 20 years ago i guide for LOS DOGOS HUNTING ,we killed hundreds of hogs with his dogos and even with his labs .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar professional hunter

Posts: 331 | Location: Argentina | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry:
We all go thru such periods at times.
It's mighty frustration when it's happening.
We just have to hang in there and keep after it til it breaks is all. Who is that says: "never ever give up?"

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mfischer, it was Juan's posts that inspired me to acquire dogos. I lost one, and currently have another. I have resolved never to be without one, even when my hunting days are over.

Well George guess what. I killed a nice sow this morning, that my dogs caught. Had to wade the same creek, again. Went back to get her with the wheeler and high centered the wheeler on a log in a cane brake. Unable to get the sow out. Frowner However now I will hunt tomorrow, God willing to my stuck wheeler and try to free it with a come-a-long. Wouldn't have this trouble if I kept out the woods, but then....

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Dear Larry please ad me on FB i posted many photos of my dogos and hunting with my dogos .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Done! I should have thought of doing that a long time ago.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry:
More troubles, that's what makes us resilient I've been told. Damn it gets old fighting these wars though.

Have fun, when it gets where you can't or don't. Try something else awhile.
George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny, but things got worse. Took the key off the wheeler and let it spend the night in the woods. Could not find the key the next morning. Walked back to the wheeler and removed the switch. Pulled the wheeler off the log the next day with the help of a friend. Took the switch to a locksmith and had two keys made. Walked back to the bike installed the switch and started the wheeler and rode home. Exercise is good right?

Found the lost key today, cutting okra in the garden. Smiler

Put some bait out today and going to try some still hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Larry:
I have a saying that fits that just perfectly!!

NFF, you figure it out, ha!

I just replaced a lock for $12, making a new key would have been $11. WTH, came with two keys.

Glad you got it home w/o busting things up or getting hurt. That's what counts.

G

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight