New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double Rifle Pigs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been getting game camera pictures of quite a few pigs at one of my feeders and have slipped up on the feeder a couple of times recently without luck. They've been there but have heard or smelled me and run off. Today, nothing was under the feeder, neither pigs or corn, so I made the feeder cycle. I heard a pig grunt from pretty close and when I looked around a brushpile the pig saw me and ran off, no shot. Then a pig squealed from another direction and was coming my way, still squealing. He walked out of the brush about 25 yards away and I shot him at about 20 yards. Shot him with my Fausti 8x57JRS double. 170 grain Prvi bullet loaded to about 2200 fps,did a pretty good job on this one. Then, after I got home and just about sunset I saw 9 pigs in the hayfirld across the road from our house. The guy that owns it asked me to shoot any pig I see as they are tearing his fields up badly. Shot the biggest at around 250 yards with my Hill Country Rifles .300 WM, 180 gr Barnes TTSX. Works every time. 20 minutes latter a larger group of pigs showed up in the field and this time I shot two of the biggest and missed a third, same rifle. Not a bad day shooting pigs. Landowner will have to drag them off as I don't have a key to his gates. Trying to post a couple of pics, hope it works.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2744 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Karl--good job.

I can't remember the last time I saw a pig during daylight hours at any of the 3 places I hunt---too much pressure so it is all nocturnal.

Checked my cameras yesterday and have one 175-200 lb boar coming in regular, but unfortunately, it is between 11 and midnight, and I'm a lazy guy and don't want to sit that late. Maybe when this full moon is gone he'll adjust his schedule as they usually do and I won't have to sit half of the night.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Nice! Hope to get a DR pig in the next few years, have a ways to go finding the right load

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are the pigs I shot out of my neighbor's hayfield yesterday evening. Big one was standing, little one was running, 200-250 yards. Glock 23 is for reference, big one had some teeth growing.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2744 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good stuff!

Here is my latest double.....

It is a Connecticut Shotgun RBL "Professional" 20 gauge Sabot double. Have not had success with bloodying it yet. Hopefully will do so soon.

Merkel 141, 30-06 Springfield, 180 gr Core-Lokts

Merkel 141, 8 x 57 JRS, S & B 196 Gr Soft Point Cut-Through Edge

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mighty fine looking double there.

Sure blew a hole in that one.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote