New
Find
Notify
Tools

hERE'S HOPING Part 2
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Checked the cameras today and the rest of the sounder is back in the trap nightly. 12 of last 13, to include the night after I trapped/shot the last bunch. So, I have turned off the other feeder which I call the "shoot feeder" and hopefully none will hang up there but all come to the trap feeder. I'm giving them until Sunday to adapt to my schedule, and will set the trap Sunday evening.

Here's what I have to deal with:

At my other place, here's what I found---they are getting pretty brazen. My bow and AR w/thermal are both whining for a sit tonight, but it is so hot I think I'll pass.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was hot and humid last night. Breeze quit about 11:00 and the air got really hot. Only two deer and a coon showed. The coon would have died but one deer kept trying to stomp it! That's a nice boar in the last picture! Good luck with them!

Posts: 691 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Live Oak---this is either the twin to one I shot about 6 wks ago or who knows? He's pretty regular and I have an order for a good sized one for cured hams, so the buzzards won't get this one if I trap him next week.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heck of a deal. Took two nights off
and you still haven't cleaned the
house up!

Some good looking pigs there.

Looks like early morning visitors.

Hope you connect.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George--you know I will connect, and I hope it is in multiples at both places. Then next week, while the traps are resting, I will take the rifle and bow and do some more!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well the plan was a success in part. Got home too late to set the trap out east, so only the local one.

One in the trap-the boar on the right in the first picture I think. Maybe tonight without him "hogging" all the corn the rest can get in--if not, I'll run the trap until they do. I;m guessing 120#

And, per georgeld's request--here is the hog-slaying machine used-

And, you just never know what you are gonna find/see in the pasture here--this is the biggest katydid I've ever seen. All of 2.5-3" long.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice photo of the Katydid! With no wings it must not taste very good!

Posts: 691 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dusty.
Wish it was that green up here.
Send some of that rain up this way.
We've had barely over 2" all this year
so far. Avg is over 6". Bobby has said
they've had at least two of 5" each and
several other days of rain.

Even my well is down 5 feet. Have had to
use city water for the lawn.

Nice pictures, thanks for the gun and
hopper pic's too.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK--went to check the trap this morning. Here's the story:

Last night:

This morning:

The results:

Total---3 sows with litters for 11 good pigs.

However, the rest of the story. When I got there and looked over the catch I saw something strange laying in the dirt--WTH? Then when I walked to the fence to climb in, my game camera was missing! See the strap on the fence?

These pigs were brazen---mooned me and then showed their face!

So, the plan worked to near perfection---I think I can count 12 in the first pic but only had 11 this morning. But I'll take 11 for 12 every time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ha! More proof:
Hogs will eat anything they can.
At least tore it down.

Might need to find a better post
to hang it on next time. At least
out of reach.

Good count, looks like a slaughtering.
Great pics, thanks for sharing.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hogs at the other place are getting pretty brazen about their eating hours---I have pics of them in the trap and at the shoot feeder during daylight. Been in the trap the last 15 nights in succession, so the set tonight should be fruitful. Most that have been in the trap at once is two--a large boar--150+ and one about 130 or so. I'll know in the morning if this plan has worked.

If I catch this one tonight, then Friday night I'll go for a sit--either rifle or bow, but thinking bow--been too long since I skewered a pig with an Easton XX75. Blood trailing a big one in the dark after a bow hit is always fun too, though the thermal scanner makes things less dicey as I can see them quite a way off, dead or alive, and I'll go back to the truck for the 12-ga before I start on the blood.

one of us
posted Hide Post
No catch last night---corn at the entry was gone but not the corn under the feeder and at the trip rope. I suspect they are wary of human scent which I left while setting the trap yesterday. Tonight!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't think it was the big boy, but did catch a boar last night--landowner checked the trap this morning and let me know about the catch, and said he didn't get too close as it was trying to climb out. Took me an hour to get there, all the while thinking I'd be ticked if I missed this opportunity. Parked about 300 yds out and walked in hoping to not cause it to panic and maybe climb out. Nope, still there and I walked up to a big oak about 25 yds from the trap, put the .22-250 crosshairs on the shoulder and slammed the ham. This is #13 for the week.

Weight guesses?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Off to a great finish.
Hope you get a bunch more over the
weekend to celebrate with.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
posted Hide Post
After trapping the dozen Sun/Mon I figured it would be a while before they wuuld be back--but checked the camera today and had pics of 3 boars. Change of tactics though---gonna shut down that feeder in the trap, lock the gate, and "force" them to the other feeder with the hunting stands.

Hopefully I'll have some bloody arrow pictures and blood trailing stories next week.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How close are the neighbors on that side?

Hope you're right. Stay well, and safe,

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a long, narrow place, but neighbors are on the south end of the properties---feeders are at least 300 yds from any dwelling. Bow hunting isn't an issue at all, and I've never had a complaint about gunfire. Now, I have heard gunfire from the places on either side however. They work on the pig population too.