Find
Notify
Tools

not-so-patiently waiting...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted

It's been a while since hogs have been working the area, but we found rooting from 4 nights ago that appeared to have been the work of a single/rogue boar. In case he's still around, we put out a little Tink's enticement for him today (wanted to yesterday but I felt too rough). If my body cooperates, I plan on taking a few peeks outside tonight to see if he may return. My trigger finger has grown quite itchy. Smiler Now I'm just waiting on darkness...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9334 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:

My trigger finger has grown quite itchy. Smiler Now I'm just waiting on darkness...

I feel ya'

I got back Saturday eve and am already itching to get back at em!

Good luck this eve.

May you hear the "Whop".

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
How you get a shot at him Bobby.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. Yes, that "whop" sound in the moonlight is music to the ears! Smiler

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9334 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you seen any affirmative results of the "sow in heat" lure?

Posts: 13228 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Not from this one, but I have definitely seen positive results from the aerosol Buck Bomb Sow in Estrus and the liquid Code Blue Sow in Estrous. Both definitely get and hold the attention of the older boars if the wind is right and if hogs are actually in the area.

About little over a year ago, there was a bruiser that would pass through on a half-run around midnight but never slow down for a shot opportunity. And his path of choice was cluttered with brush, etc., -- enough so that I would not risk a shot. But hanging up a few cotton balls soaked with Code Blue got him into the open where he was making semi-circles to check things out and to hopefully find out who left the scent there. He did find out. Big Grin

This one was taken just a couple days later. I had renewed the scent in case another boar was moving into the area vacated by the bruiser that met his maker. I shot him within 5 yards of where I killed the other boar.

I've had similar results with the Buck Bomb version. But the Tink's was on sale. I've used it before but really can't say if it made any difference. With any of them, though, you do have to put out enough for them to be able to detect it. That gets expensive, so I don't do it very often.

Last night, I had no luck. Early into the night, patches of low-lying fog started to drift in from the creek and stole my view. Hogs may have been around, but I couldn't see them if they were.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats a great pig, and a great looking Contender Carbine. What are you shooting in it? I just got a barrel in 6 TCU to shoot targets with and love it.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Good work a lot of meat ,nice carbines too . Wink

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys.

dwheels-

In the 6.5x30-30 AI, I am shooting the 130 grain Accubond ahead of Varget for 2525 fps from the 24" barrel and also the 120 grain BT for right at 2600 fps. (My fire forming loads using reformed 7BRM brass gets 2491 with the 130AB as the cases are nearly identical and there's minimal "change" upon firing).

In the 24-inch-barreled .300 Savage, I am using the 125 grain Accubond at 2740 fps and also the 120 grain Barnes Tac-TX AAC Blackout bullet just shy of 2800 fps. That same Barnes bullet does extremely welling a 24" 30-30 as well and has a nice string of instant kills going. In the 30-30, I am shooting it just over 2600 fps. (I wish Barnes applied the same technology to a few other bullets, like a 120 6.5 and a 120 7mm. I'd be a happy camper if they did. Smiler )

In my 7mm Bullberry, the 120 grain Nosler BT at 2651 fps has proven to be deadly on hogs as well.

Here's a boar I took with the 30-30 and the 120 grain Barnes along with the recovered bullet, which very nearly exited.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow thats a text book Barnes mushroom. The folks at Barnes would say the petals look a little stretched but otherwise fine. I'll bet thats a pig killin machine. From what I've seen you are a fine shot also. Thanks for answering my questions, DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
No problem...and thanks. Yes, I am pushing that bullet a bit beyond Barnes' design parameters, but so far, it has performed beautifully. It did lose a couple petals on a forward-facing coyote that I shot in the chest from 155 yards. The chest cavity resembled the wound channel of a small-caliber varmint bullet. The bullet ended up traversing the length of the body, including the hip bone, before coming to rest just under the hide.

I haven't felt up to checking for hogs the past few nights but am hopeful that tonight will be a little better. I did snuff out a couple more boar coons about 4 nights ago in the moonlight, but that's been the extent of my trigger activity.

Here's the bullet from the 24" 30-30 and taken from the coyote:

Taken from test medium with an impact of app. 2800 fps:

Taken from test media with an impact just over 2000 fps:

AT 1800 fps, there is little difference. The frontal diameter is slightly smaller but still in the 0.58" range. It's an impressive little number. But like I mentioned before, I really wish Barnes would apply this same technology to some other bullet offerings, namely the 120 6.5 and 7mm 120s.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ