New
Find
Notify
Tools

2nd Week of August
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Checked the cams today and have had zero pig traffic at the place I shot the last two last week. Deer, turkey, and 'coons is all.

But--went to the other place and had one pig in the trap one night, so they are coming back slowly. At the shoot feeder, I got a pic of a beautiful buck posing nice and proud. Too bad I don't get to deer hunt here--

However, the consolation prize makes up for it--I'll be out and about in waiting for this bad boy. He's got some teeth for sure.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
That boar reminds me: I need to go pull some tusks from pasture skulls one day and send them to George. I bet he thinks I have already forgotten. Just been moving very slow lately and fighting pain -- but I am going to get out there soon.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
That boar reminds me: I need to go pull some tusks from pasture skulls one day and send them to George. I bet he thinks I have already forgotten. Just been moving very slow lately and fighting pain -- but I am going to get out there soon.

I sent him a few some weeks back--maybe I just beat you to it--

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've looked at 'em several times.
Put 'em back in the bag. Haven't
figured out for sure how I'm going
to lay them out yet.

Plus, half waiting on those Bobby
has promised to add to them. HA!

That buck has a rack bigger than
he is! This picture looks like it's
almost a statue.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He was in a bachelor group of 4---

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nice buck. Still looks to be a bit young say 3.5 years? But, I'd have to take him although a couple more years would make him a brute.
Get dem hogs!

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The buck was in this bachelor group, with the one doe sticking her nose thru the wire on the left. 2 yrs ago the landowner shot a great 20+ inch-wide 10-pt in the river bottom part of his ranch---beautiful.

This one could use another couple of years, and in a good rainy winter/spring he will be something.

This might have been him last season--

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He'll be a dandy IF he's allowed
to grow up.

thanks for sharing these great pics.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Went back and relooked the pics and they aren't the same deer. First one has a long white throat patch, and the last year's deer has a small one. Guess they are related due to similarities of their racks though.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Maybe the white nose patch would also be a good I.D. to compare if you get more pictures. The one on the velvet deer in the first pic looks very thin in the middle at the top.
Last years buck is a shooter. Very nice.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My bowhunting place---landowner's nephew trapped this sounder of 9 night before last.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that's a "harvest".
Or is it slaughter?

Collected a bunch that time.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

tu2

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2260 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Lots of good pigs. I'd bet it wasn't quiet when he came up on them. Be Well, Packy.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Handsome whitetails for certain! I've never hunted them -- just Oregon blacktails and mule deer.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill--free-range whitetails may have beautiful antlers, but some of the freaks the deer farmers come up with are not pretty--My favorites are wide, typical 8- or 10-pts with long tines.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been invaded---hog aliens--most I've ever seen in one of my traps--and, hog season closes Sep 7th (landowner shuts me down for deer season) so I have some shooting and trapping to do in the next 11 days and nights.

But--the best of the story--sitting and watching the feeder, it has spun twice, and hear some slight noises from my right rear, downwind. I slowly turn and see a mob (probably the ones above) headed to the feeder, about 20-25 feet from me. They hit the scent stream, stop, and start leaving but not panicked. Slowly slide the safety off, turn on the thermal, and this girl made a mistake and stopped broadside at about 15 yds. Bang and down. Turns out she had 7 buns in the oven as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dusty it's time for the shotgun again.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

one of us
posted Hide Post
You are right about that George. No follow up shots at the sounder as it ran off due to the cows behind them. Could only sit and watch. But, they’ll be back.