Find
Notify
Tools

Friday Night Lights
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted
Date night last night consisted of a quick, light meal followed by an evening stroll...to get set up for hogs.

After dark, this lone boar came wandering up from the South...just enjoying the moonlight and going nowhere in particular. When I was ready, Jane clicked on the Predator Cannon and slowly cranked up the rheostat on the big, red light. When the crosshairs of the 6x settled on his engine room, I gently mashed the trigger on the 7x57 and sent a Cutting Edge Raptor downrange.

The hog had been close to the edge of heavy brush, and he dove into it at the shot. Leaving the 7mm with Jane, I picked up my Marlin .357 carbine and flashlight and strolled down to ground zero. I found where he'd bolted at the shot, but no blood. Levering a round into the chamber of the carbine, I started into the thick stuff following a game trail. Fifteen steps in I found a prickly pear alongside the trail sprayed with bright red blood. I followed the trail another 30-40 yards without another sign. Hmmpfh...missed something. Backtrack to the prickly pear.

A smaller trail branched off from the main and I picked up the blood trail again...but not on the ground. In this thick stuff, tracking needs to get done a foot or better above ground level, as blood and gore often gets wiped off and never reaches the ground. The blood trail dropped into a dry wash and I followed...after letting the light probe everything in front of me. The thinning blood spatter crossed the wash and appeared to be heading up the other side...a solid wall of greenbrair and brush. Carbine and light both leveled, I eased up to the edge of the brush...and spotted a sliver of black hide imbedded in the greenbriar.

Closer examination showed the hit was a winner, and the heart-shot boar had covered about 80 yards before running, dead on his feet, headfirst into the thorny mess.

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 602 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Good hog, nice shooting -- and an even nicer rifle! Yes, sometimes it's amazing how far they can pack a perfectly-placed projectile. This one was obviously dead on its feet but didn't get the memo.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9334 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes sir!!! Got the job done even with a bit of a stroll through the brush. I have much the same issues shooting them with my bow, but the rifle round to the CNS generally drops them in their shadow.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good shot and tracking it up too.

Mighty UGLY hog though, even though it's
a good one now: dead is good, right?

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the heart-shot boar had covered about 80 yards before running, dead on his feet, headfirst into the thorny mess.

The biologists didn't know what they were talking about when they classified swine as mammals. Anyone who has shot a pig knows that they are mostly reptilian. They can live for a long, long time without functioning heart or lungs. If they were venomous I wouldn't go near one for at least a half-hour after it quit wiggling -- or until its head was cut off so that it could do no more damage. It is a freak of nature that they don't have rattles on their tails.

Posts: 13227 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HA!

I like that description.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
quote:
the heart-shot boar had covered about 80 yards before running, dead on his feet, headfirst into the thorny mess.

The biologists didn't know what they were talking about when they classified swine as mammals. Anyone who has shot a pig knows that they are mostly reptilian. They can live for a long, long time without functioning heart or lungs. If they were venomous I wouldn't go near one for at least a half-hour after it quit wiggling -- or until its head was cut off so that it could do no more damage. It is a freak of nature that they don't have rattles on their tails.

I just saw this...PERFECT!

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 602 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote