New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got to 'Fess Up---
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Pigs have been regular as clockwork at my close-in place but it's been too muddy to hunt there. Finally dried out and tonight the winds were right so went for a sit. In the seat at 7:45 (pigs have been there as early as 8:10 a few times). Trap feeder spun at 8:06, and I settled back waiting for the big feeder to spin. About 8:28 I hear them coming from the west. The shoats all head for the trap and the larger ones go to the rear of the pen, away from the lights. Then--the big feeder spins and away they go---all but 1 shoat. He works back into the feed pen and puts his face in the corn. Switch on the sight light, hook up, and start my draw. About 1/3 to 1/2 way back I inadvertently trigger the release and watch the red nock do a rainbow about 15' above the pigs.

Well, the shoat leaves, but in about 2 minutes is back with two buddies. I hear the larger hogs off to the west in the dark, snuffling and grunting, and gradually heading right for me. I end up with 3 larger animals within 10-15' of the tripod and they gradually work their way far enough downwind to smell me and they left. So, I get ready, make sure the release is set, and draw on a shoat, release, and shoot over it at 18 yds! Well they only went about 3-4' and returned to the corn. Grab another arrow, draw, anchor, and release, only to shoot over again. Shoats are still hanging tough and I get my last arrow--this time I don't miss. Climb down and check the arrow--yuck! Gut shot, and a far-back one as there is not blood but pig poo on the arrow.

I followed the poo-trail for about 60-75 yds and heard animals in the brush as I trailed. I was standing scratching my head when I heard them coming down the trail I was standing on. Hit 'em with the light--2 shoats about 15' away. Tried to quietly draw the pistol but the un-snap was too loud and they spooked. So, I called it a night.

The way they hit the small trap made me even more certain I need to set the trap this week--report to follow.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stuff happens...can't be perfect every time, and the pigs will be back. Someone on here posted a picture months ago (maybe even a couple of years ago) of a big hog trap made from corral panels, I wanted to copy their gate design but can't find it now. Was it you? If it was could you post a photo of the gate (or pm me and I'll give you an email address). Better luck next time. I have only one feeder working right now because the damned pigs have knocked down and torn up 3 others and lots are coming in, I'd like to build a big circular trap out of corral panels and try to catch a bunch of 'em at once.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's one pic--6 16-ft panels and a 4' door for 100' total.

Another pic--doors are held open by a t-post to get the hogs used to going in/out

Here's what it looked like last night after I left--

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pictures, I believe I can make that type door work.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thinking of putting guillotine gates on two pens myself.

Build the gates this week. It will be around the 18th of May before I get to try them out!

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's another pic of the doors-- I just use the center one and the panel across the entrance is to keep the cows/calves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the photos, I'm building two doors, one similar to yours and a guillotine style I saw on a trap on the place behind my house. The kid that has the trap says it works really well.

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks simple enough, they push it to get in, then can't get back out. One way door.

Let's see it when you catch 'em now.

Back in the mid '60's I made a box trap with a drop door and caught several bob cats. Man they get nasty when they can't get away!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
georgeld---I've found they won't push their way into the trap--even with other hogs already inside. So, I hold the center gate open with a trigger rope tied to a rope stretched across the pen behind the feeder, opposite the gate. When they root around in the corn under the trip rope, they drop the door.

Here's last night's catch--

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good deal, thanks.
Lil porkers won't be making
more like 'em soon at least huh?
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2 females, 3 males---

I need on a bit smaller for a friend--got to set the box trap next week--

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
That turkey looks like dinner.
quote:
Originally posted by dustoffer:
Here's another pic of the doors-- I just use the center one and the panel across the entrance is to keep the cows/calves out.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5100 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep--couple of good gobblers lurk around the trap, but landowner says "hogs and squirrels only" and I follow his rules. Got to maintain good landowner relations!

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Absolutely.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5100 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote