Find
Notify
Tools

A Few Boars From NZ
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted
I have been doing a few months Culling to waste on a Big 9000Ha block, mainly Red Deer, Wild Pigs & some Fallow Deer.

Didn't a get lot of time to take photos but did on some of the bigger Boars that I was walking past, thought Id post a few of the Boars here.

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those blondies seem to have bigger cutters than the black one--maybe just an age thing or maybe just my imagination.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
That is 7 different Boars there, don't think in general the Blue or White Boars have bigger cutters than the Black Boars, I think some of the Black & White colored Boars can have bigger Tusks & can get much larger over all to !

A few more here.

Here is the first one I stopped to check as I went pass, I shot it a day or two before & he had been eaten by other boars, I saw over 3in of tusk sticking out & thought I better start taking these buggers home !!

Posts: 461 | Location: New Zealand - Australia - South Africa | Registered: 14 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great set of ivories.

Used to enjoy Mick's postings til he stopped

a few years ago.

Killed a lot of 'em, looks like you're doing

the same. Hope to see more of your results.

Good for you and thanks for posting for us to see.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Hi George, I think you may have contacted me before about the NT in Aussie for Buff & Boar hunts ?

I was the head guide for Hunts Australia for many years back then.

Micks moved down to the cooler weather of Victoria I believe, no doubt he will go back up to the NT in the cool of Winter for hunts ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice Fallow, and very good Boar jaws too Sarg. Worth keeping those jaws
Good times !
NI or SI ?
Cheers

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2014 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Sarg, believe so.

Good to see you posting again

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Nice pigs! You would be paying thousands to hunt pigs like that in Europe and you are culling them Eeker Superb! Thanks for sharing.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2259 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Hog jaws! Never seen that done before.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Those are great boars.
I take it that that bloodline is pure feral with no Russian or Wild Boar influence as one gets in parts of the US.
Shows how they evolve.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karoo,
Yes, generally all feral bloodlines but the odd boar occasionally shows a single Wild Boar characteristic. No Russian boars here. However, behaviour is often wild plus, due to heavy hunting pressure. Such boars have to be very smart to survive.
I reckon it would be neat if we had Warthog here but saying that will probably get my hand slapped.

Posts: 2014 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Yes probably never encounter as large a population of mature & old Boars as this spot again in ones life, differently a one off chance !

30.06king the NI, yes that is my largest Fallow Buck went 269DS, with 3.5in broken off the brow, so he grow over 270DS, I found two huge stags antlers/heads locked together & they died that way, quite a waste !

We in NZ have the jaws as trophies a lot, most Pig Hunters just cut the jaw out & hang on a nail on a shed wall or fence paling !

I will take a few pics of some of the jaws & skulls I grabbed .

Another interesting thing I found was when I cleaned one of the skulls up, was a broken tusk end in one of the natural holes in the skull !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marvellous Fallow buck Sarg. Well done. I'm envious !

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Thank you 30.06king, yes after years of hunting for a huge stag of say 230-245DS I got that guy but not out of the ordinary now days, huge newish bloodlines are all over !

I let as many as I could of the good Bucks go but had some pressure to shoot them all from the higher ups, until I got them a reprieve !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW!

Beautiful fallow.

Hell of a display of hog jaws.

No doubt that's just a part of them too.

Thanks much for sharing with us what you do
in your spare time.

Hey Dustoffer--------------!!

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Thank you George, yes got a few more jaws but have a lot more extracted tusks & grinders as a bit easier to store !

Only a couple of Peccary skulls (from a friend) a few Bush Pig & Warthog Skulls (mine) & one Giant Forest Hog skull (again from a friend) as I sort of collect skulls & I would like a set of the Swine Family skulls.

Unfortunately I lost my Hippo Tusks as the boys put them in with my Warthog Tusks, when I had Malaria & our Nature Conservation confiscated them on my return, I was still very sick then & hadn't checked all my gear, still have the skull & hope to get that home one day, not really a Swine I know but similar.

A few more.

I have more but I think thats enough now.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Those boars sure are impressive. I'd hate like hell to have good dogs tangle with one of those brutes. The vet bills would be out of sight.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Well Bill the Boars were so ferocious & many in number that we were a bit shy to take any Dogs in at the start, from fear of them packing the dogs.

All the Deer & even big Boars were eaten, cleaned up by the pigs by the next day at the start & by next hunt after that, I whacked so many we begin to get on top of them & our Bush is really a type of thick jungle, prefect Pig cover, then we take the dogs in, I winged a Boar from a group I shot up on dark & early next morning took the dogs in after him/them, we got a few more smaller boars (I also shot another 8-10 Deer in the open) before we hit the wounded guy in some terrible jungle crap with massive drop offs & cliff faces, part of the reason no one dogs them, turned out he was just clipped in fore leg & under brisket, was a bit farther out than I thought.

The dogs had a massive fight with him before we got there & got a few pokes each (Boar was already mad from getting shot I guess) one into the rib cage & we were a little worried so headed out but the dogs caught two more & the Dog with the hole in the chest got there first & grabbed a smaller Boar, hard bloody Dog that, we would still be waiting for Medi-Vac if we got ripped like that ?

Here is a pic of that Boar.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sarg those are great pictures.

where are you doing this culling?
Thanks for sharing with us.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Thanks George, not sure what your asking, but it is in the central North Island of New Zealand on 9000Ha of private sanctuary/farm/Bush land, some being planted in Manuka for Honey Bees & the animals have already destroyed over $1000,000 worth of seedling plantings.

All over the country right now we have contracts to control wild animals which have blown out of control since the Wild Animal Recovery (Wild Meat Industry) closed down, many of our prime farms are also being planted in trees to become Carbon Farms, which have become havens for feral animals, most owners can't let the average private Hunter/Shooter in for a multitude of reason !

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Sarg, what breed of dog are you using when do deploy them? I see the brindle markings in the photo.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill, I'm mainly the shooter & don't run behind the Dogs much now days, used to a fair bit & stuck a lot of pigs here & in Aussie, the Outfit in Africa banned me from using the knife so much & since I'm carrying, I use the 9mm a lot (has been surprising even on Eland & Waterbuck).

The Dogs are Grey Hound X Cattle Dogs, a breed that a lot of guys use in my area, funny heaps of them are called "Tiger" I reckon if you yelled out Tiger in the Pine Forest half a dozen dogs would turn up lol !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sarg:

You've got the comma in the wrong place. Hard to figure the loss from that.

That much land, how many shooters are there?
Surely you can't keep up alone.

Seems like it would be a perfect place for a commercial hunting operation for some of us foreigners that would bring in quite a bit of funding help to reimburse some of that loss. And would help the culling operations too.

There's lots of folks around the world and on AR that would like to make such a trip.

Thanks much for the info on where and why etc.

George

"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

George L. Dwight

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Did you mean the cost of the plantings George ?

It has been well over a Million Dollars NZ from what I'm told & now needs to be done again after the damage from these ferals !

Owner does not want any one on the place other than a few of his friends & it doesn't work to have amateurs in a control job, more so now days with all the health & safety rules.

I'm a hunting guide so you can imagine it is heart breaking to waste so many meat & trophy animals, no foreigners could get into NZ at that time any way & they must be removed before the next planting season.

The Boss said we had killed some thing like 2250 odd animals, there was 2.5 of us working & I took 875-900 on my own.

When we started we just had to beat what a Helicopter had taken in a day on a animal per $ base which we did beat so we got the contract.

This was hard work in some rough country & in bad weather, days & some nights, not some thing most recreational hunters would enjoy !

I will see if I can add a little video of some of the open country here.

https://youtu.be/mLLS3nsDI8k

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Sarg
Tried opening the video but says it's private.
If you're happy for AR members to view it you probably need to reload it and select the general viewing option. Cheers.

One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
I see, I checked & I could view it but that's because it was mine Eh ?

Is it working now ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, all good now. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, I'd love to take 5-6 months hunting that land on foot. Beautiful country.

Posts: 20085 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Great thread Sarg.
Darn shame you no longer operate as a guide being you were hunting in what is essentially our early October which in the state of Pennsylvania can include temps in 70's. Looks like a perfect time to hunt. Well done.
CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Thank you Custombolt, plenty of Hunting guides in NZ to take you out, lots of good areas & game about now days, more & more of it in real country !

Proper hunting in NZ is very hard & not for the client hunter, rough country, weather can be bad & large trophy animals are hard to find (or were) with the increase in numbers wild hunting can be rewarding now, still takes a lot of time if real !

I still guide but not in NZ or Aussie, I'm a PH in Africa (not last two seasons) & looks like next year I'm in Tanzania, maybe camp building this year.

On the same Pig theme (but Africa) here is a nice Hog.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
A dandy wart for sure. I hope my luck is as good as your's in early August. Heading to Mashura private property in the West Nicholson area of Zimbabwe.
Cheers.
Be well.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sarg
posted Hide Post
Good luck Custombolt, that will be great fun for you I'm sure, I did a bit of work in the West Nic area many years back, lots of Leopards there then & I did take a nice 11-12in Hog myself, that's a bit after the hogging season, if he has a cattle/game feeding area you might be all good ?

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Job one is to drop a nice Kudu. Be well.