Notify
Tools

Best place to hunt wild boar
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to hunt wild boar.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_boar

What is the best place to hunt a trophy wild boar. Not the feral pigs that grow big.

Fenced or free range all is fine with me.

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
whassamatter with feral boar that have grown large?

They have bad tempers and can tear you a new azzhole?

Chances are,unless you go to some put and take operation here in the states you'll most likely not find "Russian Boar.

Plus big boars with gnarly tushes are kinda like 7 year old mossback bucks or 400" Elk Bulls. They don't get big and old by being stupid. Thet are Scarce, and most folks don't have the time, the where-withall or the knowledge to score. I hunt in the. Texas hill country where groceries are scarce. I killed 21 hogs in April and May. Three were over 150 lbs and none were over 200 lbs. In near 20 years of hunting the hill country I've only weighed one boar that topped 300 lbs.

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geedubya, hard to argue with your logic!
Love them pictures!

Zee

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
The true Russian boars.."Razorbacks" with the long snouts, long hair, and tall backs were originally brought in further up North (what we all had hunted in FL are just feral pigs)
There's a couple places here in TN that have the big Russians and places in the East like PA. We have true wild Russians up here that got loose in the 1800's. But several high fence places have them here.

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike:

Sounds like in your case of wants. You're looking at a trip to Europe.

GW: Dandies there guy!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike is in Europe right now.

The only boars that you are referring to that I have killed are in Spain. I have seen some nice boars. I will introduce you to these people.

Mike when I finish serious deer hunting, I will take you to the ranch . Lots of them the feral pigs. They aren't always big . On the other hand they never are ALWAYS big anywhere.

Posts: 11926 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want pure European boar here in the US, you will probably have to go to high fence, especially for a large one. There are areas where Euro boars have been released (increasing all the time) but they breed with the feral pigs.

Romania has very large free range wild boar at very good prices. Best time to hunt is late fall and winter.

Portugal has good wild boar hunting, smaller type, good prices, best time to hunt is summer early fall.

Posts: 1051 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a soft spot for pure bred wild boar as I grew up hunting them.

I like the look - long snout, big head, tusks, high shoulder and lower hind. I also like the bristled hair on some Europeans.

I think they look bigger than feral hogs due to their hair.

I want to make one mounted.

I am in Hungary hunting then and headed out in 20 minutes to try and shoot one.

Any info on Portugal is greatly appreciated.

I want a bush pig and wild boar full body mount - I don't like taxidermy but I do want these two mounts.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are wanting Euro boar free rang I recommend my Austrian outfitter Klemens. You can see the pics of my boar in the Euro forum. He is just what you described.

In Michigan there is a high fence outfitter that imports pure Euro boar for hunting. I cannot remember his name, but a quick Google should find him. A few tv hunters have been to the place.

Posts: 10657 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not all the ferals look like barnyard pigs--here's a pic I took of a boar on the S. Tx lease I hunted a few years.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post

[/url]

I agree with dustoffer. Around here, they don't have the typical "feral" look and seem to have a much deeper Euro lineage.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9320 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also want some winter boar fur rugs.

I think they are the coolest trophy.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
I also want some winter boar fur rugs.

I think they are the coolest trophy.

Mike

They make a nice prop!

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Geedubya -

You have the coolest "toys" and some really neat props to display them on! After seeing these photos, I've decided that some day, should a good candidate be taken, I want a tanned hog hide as well. I think they add unique flavor and character to any outdoor decor.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9320 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree.

I got to thinking a while back, I've have numerous hides tanned, but never a boar hide.

I had one done that had the grizzled bristles and liked it so much when I got the orange one I decided to have it tanned also. (maybe visa versa, don't actually remember which was first)

So now I have two.

On a bit of a different note,

I visited some guys that were doing a big-bore pistol shoot on large bovines at a ranch outside Hondo Tx a couple weeks ago. They were shooting Asian water buffalo and Watusi in order to examine the terminal ballistics of different type of big bore pistol bullets.

One of the guys did not want the hide off his Watusi. I grabbed it and am going to have it tanned. Might make for some interesting leather projects!

This will give you an idea of the size of a Watusi

ya!

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a soft spot for pure bred wild boar as I grew up hunting them.

I like the look - long snout, big head, tusks, high shoulder and lower hind. I also like the bristled hair on some Europeans.

I think they look bigger than feral hogs due to their hair.

I want to make one mounted.

I am in Hungary hunting then and headed out in 20 minutes to try and shoot one.

Any info on Portugal is greatly appreciated. edgarpirescodeiro@gmail.com, pm me for more details

I want a bush pig and wild boar full body mount - I don't like taxidermy but I do want these two mounts.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no personal experience but I was told Superior Game Ranch in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan has Russian Boar hunts available. It is a high fenced property totaling 2000+ acres. They have a web site you can easily find. They have some impressive looking pigs on their web site.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
350 plus pound wild boar down in Romania by me 45 minutes ago.

Sticks scopes rifles are so overrated. 100 plus yards off hand no sights beretta a300 w/ slugs.

Story to follow.

Trying to get to red stag area.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
350 plus pound wild boar down in Romania by me 45 minutes ago.

Sticks scopes rifles are so overrated. 100 plus yards off hand no sights beretta a300 w/ slugs.

Story to follow.

Trying to get to red stag area.

Mike

Nice Mike
Sounds like you got your true European Hog you wanted...Congrats!

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid 60 years ago, I remember there was a place in the mountains of Tennessee that offered Russian boars( behind a high fence) that had ads in Outdoor Life. Wonder what ever happened to them?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13119 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

I can't remember where in Texas I took this boar but the owner of the place was a retired baseball player who drank Dr. Pepper from sunup to sundown. Larry of Clovis, New Mexico took me there on the date shown in the picture. It was during the same hunt when I took a nice Aoudad, but that's another story :-)

He's the same Larry who introduced me to Biebs when we all hunted together in Namibia at Kowas Adventure Safaris owned by Danie and Ansie Strauss in 2010.

Maybe Biebs can chime in because I believe he's been to the same place in Texas at one time or another.

Posts: 134 | Location: Cebu, Philippines | Registered: 08 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Click on the picture for a bigger view.
Jess

Posts: 134 | Location: Cebu, Philippines | Registered: 08 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the place in Tennessee is Caryonah Lodge. They have been around forever although I think their hogs are intermarrying with the local feral pigs today.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years back a friend and I killed a couple on Raging Russians place near Negaunee, MI on the Upper peninsula. Nice place, lots of hogs. It was my first experience on Eurasians. I was surprised their meat was red, and tasted unlike any pork I had ever had! It was so delicious I wished I could have shot a pick-up load of them, ha!

Posts: 256 | Location: Sandy, Utah | Registered: 30 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was also in touch with High Adventure Ranch out of Springfield, MO. They have nice meat hogs, mixed blood hogs and a separate pasture for the Eurasian hogs...but a bit pricey, which is subjective if its a "once in a lifetime hunt", go for it! Its a pretty place from the pics they sent me. Good luck to you, and have a ball!

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Some real nice boar coming out of Turkey, at reasonable prices too.

Hungary in November / December worth looking at too and then I would look at Czech as well.

Happy hunting !

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2255 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have some great hunts in Romania and Bulgaria for trophy wild boar. Keep in mind that many many wild boar weights are highly exaggerated. I have researched this extensively as I am personally also keen to shoot a monster boar or two. If you are interested in the tushes then Turkey has very good wild boar. For weight and also tushes then you have to look at eastern europe. I am talking about free ranging wild boar NOT fenced and not feral hogs. Best method to target a big one is to sit up over bait. Winter months are better as they come in to the bait on a more reliable basis.

Arjun Reddy
www.huntersnetworks.com
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628
DSC booth # 1222 (January 4th to 7th)
SCI booth # 5297 (January 31st to February 3rd)

Posts: 2534 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
I have some great hunts in Romania and Bulgaria for trophy wild boar. Keep in mind that many many wild boar weights are highly exaggerated. I have researched this extensively as I am personally also keen to shoot a monster boar or two. If you are interested in the tushes then Turkey has very good wild boar. For weight and also tushes then you have to look at eastern europe. I am talking about free ranging wild boar NOT fenced and not feral hogs. Best method to target a big one is to sit up over bait. Winter months are better as they come in to the bait on a more reliable basis.

Arjun Reddy
www.huntersnetworks.com
30 Ivy Hill Road
Brewster, NY 10509
Tel: +1 845 259 3628
DSC booth # 1222 (January 4th to 7th)
SCI booth # 5297 (January 31st to February 3rd)
Just for the record, I can't verify the weight but there was no pre made form that was large enough for the boar I shot in Romania, they grow em big in eastern Europe!

Arjun, do you arrange hunts in turkey?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are the Eastern European hogs radioactive from the Chernobyl fallout too? If so, what in the world can you do with them other than bury them deep? ha Just curious. I have a good friend who is a Missionary living in Budapest. I keep teasing him to find me a place to hunt hogs! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Knight:
Are the Eastern European hogs radioactive from the Chernobyl fallout too? If so, what in the world can you do with them other than bury them deep? ha Just curious. I have a good friend who is a Missionary living in Budapest. I keep teasing him to find me a place to hunt hogs! Smiler
No, they are not radioactive, just well fed and live in an environment that favors large pigs. Deep snow, wolves and bears.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Because of Chernobyl Germany has some infected wildlife from radiation. The area I live in pigs must be sent in for a radiation test before they can be sold to the butcher.

I would have never thought we were close enough to be part of the problem, but it appears this is the case.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was a soldier stationed in Augsburg a few years, back in the early 70's. When we went to Graf we would always run into a sounder or two in the boonies. Beautiful place, Southern Bavaria. Terrible accident in Chernobyl...I still can't figure how they dispose of those things?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Romania

Mike

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Romania

Mike

DETAILS!!! Outfitter, etc. What a beautiful Russian boar, thanks for sharing the pic.

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outfitter - Huntromania
PH - Marius - owner of Hunt Romania
Location - Outside of Dej Romania
Firearm - borrowed beretta a300 from local villagers
Ammunition - 6 or 8 rounds of ball/slugs
Type of hunting - driven or more correctly a beat with one gun

Boar shot at 100 plus yards with shotgun bead

4 shots from me - 2 hit - the 1 or 2 shot in the lungs (this was far shooting) and 4th - texas heart shot (100 yards). One shot by marius that missed. Final shot my local villager.

The boar was hit first time in the valley with me shooting downhill. I though it was a sow cause there was a little piglet around. The piglet was actual a german shot haired that was the beaters dog. Boar was hit but was slowly moving uphill with the dog around yapping. The shooting was to make sure we did not hit the dog.

Marius and I ran downhill and then uphill to get to the boar as he was moving with the dog in chase. The hill was steep and we running out of ammo.

So basically the shotgun became a baton. It was passed to whoever could get to the boar. I passed it the Marius and he ended up passing it to a local villager.

I can walk for miles and miles on flat land but running up that hill exhausted me.

Marius estimated the weight to be between 175-200kg - 375 plus pounds on the low end.

3 guys could not lift the boar into the pickup. They had to drag it out with the pickup.

We took a few pictures and headed off to hunt read deer. I would have liked to mount the whole boar but the villagers were focused on sausages and us on hunting red deer.

He was a monster and the hunt was one I will remember for the rest of my life and for sure the best shooting I have ever done and will ever do.

I have big hands

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice Boar, well done and particularly good shooting with a smooth bore tu2

Tusks ???

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Truccolo:
Very nice Boar, well done and particularly good shooting with a smooth bore tu2

Tusks ???

Did not even check the tusk. They will be mounted on a wood plaque and sent to me.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding Mike, very nice. Congratulations my friend.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote