Find
Notify
Tools

mini-double with the 6.5 BRM
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted

Not much to tell here: Last night I stepped outside a little after 9:30 and noticed a bunch of dark globs near the light of the feeder. I turned on the thermal monocular and noticed that the deer had repositioned themselves near the house and were watching. I scanned again, hoping to see larger hogs, but I detected nothing other than what appeared to be 15 piglets vacuuming the corn and protein.

I stepped over to my shooting rest, where my Contender with its 24" 6.5 BRM barrel had been placed earlier. I decided to hold off in hopes a chaperone to this group of piggies would make its presence.

I waited. And waited some more. I was getting impatient, and so were the hogs as the corn was likely all but gone. So about 10:15, I decided I'd take the first decent opportunity. As luck would have it, 2 lined up nicely for me.

The 130 grain Sierra Tipped MatchKing, launched at a bit over 2500 fps, flew true and dropped both on the spot. The 17 and 28 pound targets didn't provide much of a ballistic test, but I was still happy with what I saw when we butchered them. We found no jacket pieces or lead slivers, though there was massive internal damage to both.

I really wish a larger hog showed itself to give the bullet a better workout, but that will happen eventually. But for now, we'll be enjoying fresh, melt-in-your-mouth chicken-fried pork cutlets. Smiler

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HA!

Almost like bunnies for size.

Beats what you've been shooting
all to H. Can't complain any on a
two fer.

10# wt difference, has to be two
different batches. Right?

Good for you, glad you're able to get
out yet. That many will grow up for
bigger and more shooting fairly soon.

Thanks for sharing,

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
HA!

10# wt difference, has to be two
different batches. Right?

George

From watching them, I'd say those 15 were from at least 3 different litters...and likely 4.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you are back shooting! I know you like to analyze how the bullets work but a dead pig is a good pig!

Posts: 700 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Nice use of a brief opportunity, Bobby!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Very nice Bobby! Those will be good eating. Is there a difference between the Sierra Gamechanger and the Sierra Tipped MatchKing? Are they the same thing?

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The GameChanger is a much tougher bullet and hence wasn't all that suited to my velocity range. It is terrific in .260 and up. For years I railed against the MKs on game, but the new design gives it interesting and consistent low-velocity applications. I've recovered dozens from medium so far and have been impressed.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Even when you get separation with the 130 grain Tipped MK, you still get sizable chunks wreaking havoc.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Son of a gun.
I figured all these fancy new
bullets would never separate from
their jackets. Thought all of 'em
were either glued, or crimped in these
days.

Thanks Bobby.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Perfect size Bobby. I do like to be able to eat what I shoot.
be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good shootin’ Bobby! Can’t beat those crockpot specials! Those little ones turn into big ones, I don’t pass up little ones either!

Z

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote