Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite .25 caliber hog bullets?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 35whelenman
posted
In the .257 Rob/.25-06 chamberings, what bullets do you all prefer for all sizes of hogs?

Originally I was a fan of Hornady Interlocks for their accuracy and effectiveness on medium game relative to their cost.

But awhile back I had a .277 Interlock give marginal performance on a smaller boar. The pig was about 20 yards away, perfect broadside shot, and died after a short run. The recovered bullet was intact, but heavily mushroomed. If the shot hadn't been flat on broadside I'm not sure there would have been enough penetration for a quick kill.

Now that I've got a new .257 Roberts, I need some suggestions on bullets for pigs.

Posts: 162 | Registered: 14 September 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
100 grain Barnes TSX or TTSX. Works wonders out of my wife's .257 Roberts on the critters she's shot with it. Of course, if you restrict your shot placement to that special little spot behind the ear, pretty much any accurate shooting bullet will work just fine.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course, if you restrict your shot placement to that special little spot behind the ear, pretty much any accurate shooting bullet will work just fine.

This nails it. The last four pigs I shot were with 80-grain Remingtons from a 6 X 45, at a pedestrian 2500 fps. Bang, flop, paddle, kick. Each was shot in the central command system, right forward of the ears and about an inch down.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Any gimmick type pest cartridge works if you shoot them in the head and have the terrain to do so; I mean hogs standing in the field. I have never had the luxury of that kind of hog hunting and am forced to shoot them whilst running through the timber; no 25 or even 30 caliber can be counted upon to drive into the vitals. Big bores are the word in this case; 9.3mm is a good place to start; go up from there.
Now, back to reading my Elmer Keith books For you young guys who never heard of him; he said that 300 Magnums and below are strictly pest guns. I agree with him.

Posts: 17095 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
If 9.3mm is the starting point, I've been doing it wrong.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
As I said, if you can place your shots perfectly into a standing hog, then anything will work. I have killed lots of them with a 22 rifle (in their pen). But when you shoot them in France running through the trees, it becomes a bit harder to hit their head. I think in Texas (disclaimer, never hunted there) you have lots of open land from which to plink hogs in vital spots any time you like.

One of Us
Picture of 35whelenman
posted Hide Post
The .257 is my new deer rifle, but I want a load that will reliably kill a hog should one step out. I'll be hunting in the south east part of the US, so shots will be inside 150 yards, and possibly very close range.

Last year in central Georgia I saw two old boars that where so big I still don't believe it. The first was in archery season at 40 yards, but I never got the broadside shot. I would say he was easily 300 pounds. The other one was about 200 yards out, moving fast, no shot available but no question it was the size of small cow.

I don't plan on hunting hogs with this rifle on purpose, that's what the 35 Whelen is for. But it would be nice to have a reliable bullet ready in case a nice meat hog steps out instead of a nice buck.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Glad to know you like the 35 Whelen. Ok, I admit I have done as you want to; while hunting deer when I was stationed at Ft Stewart, you had to be ready for hogs too. And I admit my favorite deer rifle was a Ruger 77, 257. I just used the standard 117 Sierras and they did fine; and I was careful to always get a good broadside shot. I do like the heavier bullets in the 257, but I like heavy bullets in everything. Don't tell Elmer I use a 257 Roberts.
Biggest hog I saw there was 150-200 pounds. They liked to come out at night too. I have a story about a hog and a big king snake I stumbled on in the moonlight but that is too long for now.

One of Us
Picture of 35whelenman
posted Hide Post
So did Elmer affect your choice of branch in the Army to? Can't really go bigger than the 120 main gun (or 105 depending on your era).

But I always figured you Army types were a bit weird with the Stetsons, tanker boots and giant Cavalry belt buckles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Typically I opt for 6.5mm and larger, but when I do shoot a .257 at hoglets.......

Sauer 200 Europa-Lux, 25-06.

these days its a 110 Gr. Nosler Accubond.

In this instance, lined 'em up and got a two-fer. Thru and thru on both @ +/- 90 yds.

The tan hoglet was in front and dropped at the shot. The black one ran about 10 yds and piled up. No problem following a blood trail to the critter, even after dark, employing a headlight.

JAPPF,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
35; yes, Elmer helped me choose the caliber, although if I had wanted the biggest, I would have chosen Artillery branch but I could never understand why anyone would want to shoot at something they couldn't see. I was started with 105s, and the M551 Sheridan (152), and ended up with the M1A1, 120mm smoothbore. My second branch choice was Infantry, and third was Ordnance. I should have chosen Finance Corps as they never had to go to the field.
Oh yes I have tanker boots, but the Stetsons and belt buckles were Cavalry. Those are the crazy ones, but the Aviators are by far the craziest.

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
And I admit my favorite deer rifle was a Ruger 77, 257. I just used the standard 117 Sierras and they did fine; and I was careful to always get a good broadside shot. I do like the heavier bullets in the 257, but I like heavy bullets in everything. Don't tell Elmer I use a 257 Roberts.

257R is my favorite too. I would recommend the 120 Interlock HP for hogs with a 25 caliber. It's tough and will easily zip through both shoulders of a whitetail. You are correct, I don't do driven hunts. I do hunt in the woods but the hogs never know I'm there or I would never get a shot off. I would bring something bigger for a driven bog hunt where they are jacked up and on the run towards me. Out of my rifles, it would be the 308, 338 Fed, 350 Rem Mag or 9.3x63. I included the 308 because I have 16" FNAR that would be perfect for something like that.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
I have shot several hogs, including a 225# boar with a cup and core Sierra Game King 100 grain bullet out of my .257 Roberts. The boar was shot through the chest and dropped in his tracks.

With Bob and 25-06 velocities they would work well.

I do however use a 110 grain Accubong shooting in my .257 Weatherby. 100 grain Game Kings shot ok, but I was pushing them a little to fast and they could be quite explosive.

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My son has shot several hogs with the Barnes 115 gr. TSX out of a 257 Ackley. All dead within 20 ft of the shot. He also used them on a plains game hunt in Africa with 9 animals shot and 9 taken to the skinning shed. Yes, I love 25's, either 100gr or 115 gr Barnes will kill elk to possums.

Posts: 5 | Location: Kansas, USA | Registered: 07 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
110 grain Nosler Accubonds!

Stormy, Bob and pig

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
DO NOT...I MEAN DO NOT USED WINCHESTER PEP 120 GRAIN 25-06 LOADS ON HOGS UNLESS SMALL SOWS N SQUEALERS.....man I have had some issues with those on hogs and deer. Awesome long range coyote load.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 35whelenman
posted Hide Post
Appreciate all the suggestions. I've got 100 grain TSX, 110 grain Accubonds, and 120 grain Game Kings. Time to see which shoots best out my rifle.

One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Normally I use and recommend a 30 cal for boar, but then that's mostly at night.

For daytime, the 130gr Accubonds from a 6,5 work ok, and would think similar results from 257 can be expected. Most will require a track after the shot though.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When you shoot at that short range your retained velocity creates quick an large mushrooming, that in turn stops a certain amount of penetration..What happened in your cas is exactly that...Its a great bullet and your hog didn't make many tracks. This can happen with any bullet or any make..Using a heavier bullet will work the opposite and if one of those bullets drills an animal you will get a long tedious tracking job...

IMO, any good deer bullet is a good hog bullet and hogs are not hard to kill, Ive killed dozens of the with varmint calibers, pistols and about every med and big bore caliber, most while hunting deer or during culling operations, Most of my family and many friends ranch in Texas so I hunt there a good deal.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
110 grain Nosler Accubonds!

+1

i like 308 or bigger for pigs, but have taken them with "everything" from .22LR to 577NE ..

mild loads, good bullets, as good of shot placement as you can manage,,,

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38458 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 6.5 Rem mag. that I kill pigs with. I use 120/123 Sierra Match Kings and haven't lost a pig yet in about 80 kills over the last 18 months. I load them to about 3250 fps. still get complete penetration on lung shots. YMMV

Posts: 70 | Location: College Station TX | Registered: 06 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
110 AB at 3200 fps from a 25-06

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd use the tsx. They do their damage and if necessary turn into a solid to keep going. This isn't a small animal and was shot at about 12 feet with a 257 Wby. A pretty tough task for a small bullet going 3500fps. It turned away from the blast but went nowhere. Works just as well on big black bear near and far. If it shoots well and I suspect it will it is the only bullet you'll ever load.

Posts: 178 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Barnes 100's in my quarter bores. They work just fine on boars or deer.

A 140 grain Accubond in 6.5 at 2600 fps has also proven effective for both species for me.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
257Roberts 70gr ESP Raptor 3500FPS

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
257 Bob, 100 gr. Rem Core-lokt at 3000. Not my first choice, but has always been a great deer bullet and was what I had on several chance encounters with hogs.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2265 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
no 25 or even 30 caliber can be counted upon to drive into the vitals. Big bores are the word in this case; 9.3mm is a good place to

I had no trouble shooting them on the run in the brush with my 30-06 and 220gr bullet. Works as well as my 338wm. My 416 has a bit more thump.

I would agree with the 25 cal remark.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
The only hogs I've shot with my .257 died in short order (dropped within 10yards of the shot)They were killed with 117 Sierras, no recovered bullets, all exits. I imagine if it were my dedicated hog rifle and there were a chance of running into big ones I'd go for the Barnes 100 grain TTSX.
I've used 6.5x55, 30/06, .223 and .257 Roberts on hogs and have never found them hard to kill, maybe I've just been lucky?

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote