New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biggest one I have shot in awhile
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looked at game cam photos at my place a couple of days ago. Looked to be a nice one hitting the feeder! I sat last night. Around 9 he silhouetted in front of the lights but moved around to the right side. I could see him poking just out side the fence. Then nothing. He finally started poking on the back side, out of the fence. Disappeared to the left. What seemed like forever he slipped under the back left fence. I let him settle down and turn quartering to my left. Put it on his leg and touched it off! He reared up off the ground and took off. I saw sparks fly!!! I heard him run, crashing through the brush still quartering to my left. Running noise stopped maybe 25 yards in front and to the left of my tower. Its kinda of open to the left of the tower so I rode the ATV slowly and shined where I thought he should be. Not there. There is a little bit of sendero on the other side of that. Road it slowly but no pig. Went to the feeder looking for any sign, none! He ran straight through the bottom strand of barbed wire and broke it. Guessing barbs across the steel post caused the sparks! I found the first blood clot about ten yards farther out. Then it was more like smears of watery blood. I had to back up and refind it several times. Near where I last heard him I found a small yaupon coated with blood. Gray pig coated with gray mud, I almost stepped on him! 199.2 pound boar 416 Ruger. Bullet hit a little low, shattered the left leg, back of the lungs and liver.

Posts: 696 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good one---he's a "knot-head"

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's that rusty coffee can again! :-)

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually its a trash can that stays in bed of my truck! Pull the string and tape off a bag of cubes or the bag itself, stick it in the can so it does not blow out. Also make a dandy chin can!!

Posts: 696 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Nice bruiser hog.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5097 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
That's a brute...well done!

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9334 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I almost stepped on him! 199.2 pound boar 416 Ruger. Bullet hit a little low, shattered the left leg, back of the lungs and liver.

I always like shooting hogs with my 416 Taylor the 350grmagtips worked well.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Nice !!
what bullet? the 350 magtip is a fragmentation monster

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38458 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the 350 magtip is a fragmentation monster

Not that I have found.

Posts: 19355 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speer protected point, Hot core 350 grain. I have never recovered one. When they come in with the "fight or flight" state of mind they will run! I have broken both front legs, or run them through length wise, they will run! It's just a matter of how far! If they come in calm and unaware, they get knocked down and run on their sides! I have tried several brands of 416. None really open up on pigs or whitetail deer. They do their job though. I do like Speer and Sierra. I wish Sierra made a 416.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This one looks like it's six feet long.
Was he?

Glad you get to nail one now and then.

Geoege

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote